Hunting gear is often expensive. Besides, you need to ensure that your hunting gear is always in its best condition for enhanced reliability and more accurate shooting. Thus, it’s important to take good care of your hunting gear. For instance, bows require a lot of care when carrying and storing them. A bow case makes it possible to store and transport a bow safely without damaging any components. However, bow cases are not made equal. Thus, you need to pick the best bow case to ensure that your bow is stored and transported safely at all times.
If you travel a lot with your bow, then it’s important to invest in a top-quality bow case. This is especially important for hunters since there’s a lot of movement involved from one place to another in search of prey. Carrying your bow while exposed can make it vulnerable to damages including dents, scratches, and tears. Also, storing the bow while exposed can pose danger to kids and people who don’t know how to use the bow. For instance, kids may accidentally dry fire the bow and injure someone. Thus, it’s a great idea to invest in a bow case. Read on through this article for reviews and a buyer’s guide on the best models of bow cases available today.
Quick Comparison Table
|Bow Case (Model)||Interior Dimensions (Inches)||Our Rating||Price|
|Plano 108110 Bow Guard||46.5 by 16 by 6.75|
|Plano Protector Compact Bow Case||43.25 by 19 by 6.75|
|Flambeau Outdoors 6461SC||47.5 by 19.25 by 5|
|VISTA Traveler Takedown Case||37 by 11 by 6|
|Compound Bow Case, Black Gear Fit||40.5 by 15.5|
|Ravin R180 Soft Case||37 by 15 by 6|
|30-06 46″ Promo Bow Case Black||46 by 16.5 by 2|
|Wicked Ridge Soft Crossbow Case||40 by 31 by 8|
|Southwest Archery Universal Takedown||31 by 12 by 3|
|Check price||TenPoint STAG Hard Case||36.75 by 18 by 10.75|
Top 10 Bow Case Reviews
It might seem like a simple task to find the right bow case. However, it’s something quite challenging to do. There’re several factors that you need to take into account when shopping for a bow case. Besides, there’re several bow cases available today. Thus, the choices available can be overwhelming. Regardless of your situation, here’s a detailed list of the top 10 bow cases available on the market today.
1. Plano 108110 Bow Guard
The Plano 108110 Bow Guard is specially designed for storing and carrying your bow and hunting accessories in extreme weather conditions. It keeps your bow protected from weather elements and dust.
- Rubberized seal: One of the features that stand out most in this bow case is its rubberized seal. The rubberized seal makes it possible to close the case tightly. The tight seal can keep out water, air, and dust. That way, you can carry the case during a rainy day without worrying about water damage.
- Crush resistant: The case features a crush-resistant construction. Its outer shell is extremely hard and crush resistant. Thus, you can enjoy a bumpy ride when driving off-road without worrying about the case or your hunting gear getting damaged. Also, the case doesn’t get damaged when dropped accidentally.
- Thick wall construction: The case is has a thick wall on all sides. Its thick wall construction guarantees the safety of the stored bow and other hunting gear. The thick nature of the walls makes it hard for the stored bow to get damaged from impact. The wall thickness also makes the case strong such that it won’t get damaged easily when a heavy item is accidentally placed on the case.
- Lockable design: You can rest assured that the security of your bow and hunting gear is guaranteed when carrying them with this case. It’s lockable such that your bow won’t fall off the case during transportation. The case is secured with spring-loaded latches combined with padlock tabs.
- Arrow retainers: The case comes with inbuilt elastomeric arrow retainers. The arrow retainers are specially designed to hold both carbon fiber and standard arrows. It also comes with straps that hold the bowstring and libs in place to secure them tightly and prevent the bow from moving around during transportation.
- Heavy-duty and secure hinges
- Dual-stage latches
- Can store a fully-loaded quiver
- Rugged construction
- Comes with straps for tying accessories
- The straps are relatively weak
- It’s a bit heavy
The Plano 108110 Bow Guard is approved for air travel, making it perfect for anyone who would want to travel by air while carrying their bow and other hunting accessories. It’s also great for transporting a bow under extreme weather conditions.
2. Plano Protector Compact Bow Case
The Plano Protector Compact Bow Case is yet another top quality case from Plano. Plano is known for manufacturing some of the best hunting accessories. The case is available in black and features a compact design. It’s also designed with affordability in mind.
- Compact design: Just like its name suggests, this case features a compact design. Its compactness makes it more portable and won’t take a lot of space in your car or store. Besides, it’s lightweight, making it easier to carry it when fully loaded.
- Holds a bow and arrows: The case is designed to hold a bow and arrows. The main bottom compartment can hold most types of bows that have parallel limbs. Also, the compartment on the lid can hold up to six arrows.
- Hardened construction: Another great feature of this case is that it features a hardened construction. It’s able to withstand outside elements, thereby keeping your hunting gear protected from damage.
- High-density foam: Additionally, the interior of the case is softened with high-density foam. That way, your bow and arrows won’t experience any shock during transportation. Thus, your hunting gear will stay protected regardless of how rough the terrain might be during transportation.
- Integrated handle: The case comes with an integrated handle that makes it easy to carry the case along with you. The handle is designed as part of the case structure such that you won’t have to worry about it coming off. Also, the handle is designed to allow for a tight, comfortable grip.
- Very affordable
- Sleek design
- Airline approved design
- Solid construction
- The hinges are not very strong
- Doesn’t come with straps
The Plano Protector Compact Bow Case stands out for its affordability, making it a great choice for anyone looking for an affordable, yet high-quality bow case.
3. Flambeau Outdoors 6461SC
Whether you want to head out to your favorite shooting range for target practice or you want to go deep into the woods to hunt, the Flambeau Outdoors 6461SC bow case will keep your bow safe and secure. It’s designed to keep the limbs and string of a compound bow in their perfect condition.
- Shell construction: One of the top features that make this bow case a great choice is its rugged shell construction. It’s made of premium quality plastic that resists crushing. Thus, it’ll keep your precious bow and arrows protected in the event of accidental impact during transportation.
- Massive arrow storage: The bow case comes with an arrow storage rack on the lid compartment. The arrow storage is massive and can store up to 12 arrows. Thus, it’ll save you from the hassle of transporting arrows separately. Besides, the arrow storage rack is designed to secure the arrows from two positions along the shaft. That way, the arrows won’t move out of place.
- Foam bed: The bottom compartment comes with a foam bed material that keeps the bow protected from damage. It works by absorbing shock such that the bow and any attached bow sight won’t suffer damage during transportation, especially when driving along a rough road.
- Lockable design: Another top feature that makes it one of the best bow cases available today is its lockable design. It comes with four latches and four lock holes. That way, you can lock it for more secure transportation and storage. Once you lock it, you’re assured that your expensive hunting gear won’t fall off.
- Tie-down straps: Also notable are the tie-down straps that come with the case. The straps feature a hook and loop mechanism. They’ll assist in securing your compound bow tightly in place to prevent movement during transportation.
- Ergonomic handle
- Compact and lightweight
- Fits most compound bows
- Durable support and pillar structure
- Soft interior cushioning
- Only ideal for storing compound bows
- The walls are relatively thin
If you love shooting with a compound bow, then consider choosing Flambeau Outdoors 6461SC to safely store and carry your precious compound bow.
4. VISTA Traveler Takedown Case
The VISTA Traveler Takedown Case is specially designed for lovers of takedown recurve bows. It boasts of holding a single takedown recurve bow and up to 18 arrows measuring up to 34 inches long. The entire case is 37 inches long.
- Weather-resistant: The material used in making the case is weather resistant. It can withstand weather elements such as humidity and sunlight. Thus, you’re assured of a durable service in protecting your hunting gear.
- Lockable snap closures: This bow case has a lock design that utilizes snap closures. The snap closure lock mechanism is easy to use such that you can easily lock or unlock it as needed. Besides, this lock mechanism locks the casing tightly enough for enhanced security of your bow and arrows.
- Storage cut-outs: The storage compartment comes with cut-outs made in the foam material. The cut-outs are designed to store the limbs, limb bolts, and riser separately to keep them protected from damage.
- Hard construction: Additionally, the case is made of a hard material. The material resists tear and wear. It’s also able to resist crushing in the event of short accidental drops. Its hardened nature also makes it durable.
- Integral storage compartments: Another top feature of this recurve bow case is its integral storage compartments. It has compartments for storing accessories such as a stringer, glove, and arm guard.
- Each compatible item fits snug
- Can hold 18 arrows
- Rigid handle
- Fairly light
- You can add a luggage lock in each latch
- May not survive a high fall
- Water can enter into the case since it’s not tightly sealed
If you’re searching for a bow case that can carry a takedown recurve bow, then you won’t go wrong with this VISTA Traveler Takedown Case.
5. Compound Bow Case, Black Gear Fit
The Compound Bow Case, Black Gear Fit comes with multiple storage options. It’s specially designed for storing compound bows and several accessories. It’s also designed for enhanced portability and security of your hunting gear.
- Multiple accessory pockets: The exterior of the bag comes with 10 accessory pockets. You can take advantage of the pockets to store any fitting items and accessories you’d want to carry along with you. Thus, you can carry a lot of hunting gear all in a single bag, thereby eliminating the need to carry several separate bags.
- Large storage capacity: This bow case can store a compound bow measuring up to 35 inches. Thus, it’s able to store most standard compound bows. Besides, the interior has tie-down straps for securing the bow in place.
- Padded shoulder strap: Another top feature that comes with this case is a padded shoulder strap. The padding makes it comfortable to suspend the case over the shoulder. Besides, the shoulder strap is removable such that you can unhook it when you don’t want to use it.
- Rubber carry handle: Additionally, the case comes with a rubber carry handle. You can simply carry it by the handle rather than using the shoulder strap. Besides, the carry handle is covered in rubber for a more comfortable grip.
- Soft interior: The interior of the case has a soft lining. The soft lining works as a cushioning material. It keeps the bow and arrows cushioned against any damage during transportation or in the event of dropping the case accidentally.
- Comes with storage for arrows
- Solid handle
- Smooth zippers
- Durable material
- Great aesthetics
- It’s quite pricey
- It doesn’t resist crushing
If you won’t mind paying a little more for a bow case with multiple storage options, then you can consider this Compound Bow Case, Black Gear Fit.
6. Ravin R180 Soft Case
The Ravin R180 Soft Case is specially designed for easier transportation of Ravin crossbows. It features a black color scheme with a touch of orange. The combination of black and orange, in addition to its design, makes it have a unique, sleek look.
- Fits an assembled crossbow: One of the top features of this case is that it can easily fit a fully-assembled Ravin crossbow. This means that you can fit it with a crossbow mounted with a scope. That way, you can retrieve your crossbow and start using it right away since no reassembling is needed.
- Compact design: The case features a slim, compact design. This makes it extremely easy to carry. Also, it’s lightweight for enhanced portability. You can carry it for long distances through the thicket while hunting.
- Heavy-duty construction: The case features a heavy-duty construction for enhanced durability. Thus, you can rest assured that it will serve you for several years to come. Also, its interior is generously padded to keep your crossbow protected against damage.
- Zippered pockets: Another great feature of this case is that it comes with two inside pockets and two more pockets on the outside. You can store several accessories in the pockets. Besides, both the inside and outside pockets are zippered to keep any stored items in place during transportation.
- Backpack design: You’ll also appreciate the backpack design of this bow case. You can easily carry it on your back like a regular backpack with the help of the fitted backpack straps. Its design also makes it comfortable to carry as a backpack.
- Durable fabric material
- Neat look
- Decent storage space
- You can store crossbow bolts
- Comes with comfortable carrier handles
- Only suitable for use with Ravin crossbows
- The backpack shoulder strap is not of the best quality
The Ravin R180 Soft Case is ideal for storing and transporting a Ravin crossbow. Thus, anyone with a Ravin crossbow should consider investing in this bow case.
7. 30-06 46″ Promo Bow Case Black
This bow case is specially designed to accommodate most parallel limb and compound bows. It measures 46 by 2 by 16.5 inches, making it spacious enough to accommodate most compatible bows. It also comes with a storage compartment for arrows.
- Water-resistant: One of the reasons that make this bow case stand out is that it’s made of a water-resistant nylon material. This makes it an all-weather bow case. It’s a great choice for use during rainy seasons since it’ll keep moisture away from your precious bows and arrows.
- Reinforced seams: The nylon construction of this bow case boasts of having reinforced seams. The seams are double-stitched for enhanced strength and durability. Thus, you can load the case to its fullest without worrying about the seams.
- Woven handles: The case comes with woven handles that are tightly stitched on the case. They’re able to carry the case safely even when fully loaded. Additionally, the handles are designed for a comfortable, tight grip.
- Lightweight: Another great reason to consider this case is its lightweight construction. The nylon material doesn’t add a lot of weight to the luggage. Thus, you can comfortably carry it for a long distance without getting tired.
- Padded construction: The interior of the case is sufficiently padded. The padded construction assists in keeping your bow protected from tear and wear, especially when carrying it in your car trunk where the case is prone to shaking.
- Heavy-duty zippers
- Affordable price range
- Sturdy nylon material
- Classic design
- Outer pocket for storing arrows
- The padding is not durable
- Lacks tie-down straps
This 30-06 46″ Promo Bow Case Black is yet another affordable option for anyone looking for a bow case that can accommodate a compound or parallel limb bow.
8. Wicked Ridge Soft Crossbow Case
The Wicked Ridge Soft Crossbow Case is one of the best bow cases available today. It’s specially designed for carrying most standard-size crossbows.
- Sturdy side panels: You definitely want a bow case that can keep your expensive bow protected during storage or travel. This case is exactly designed for that. It’s built with sturdy side panels that offer enhanced protection to the stored bow.
- Extra-depth: Another outstanding feature of this bow case is that the side panels are designed with extra depth. The added depth makes it possible to store a crossbow with mounted optics. Thus, you don’t have to disassemble any mounted optics when storing your crossbow in the case.
- Large exterior pocket: The case comes with a large exterior pocket that is ideal for storing your arrows. Also, you can store your quiver and other fitting accessories. The pocket has a zipper to keep your items safe.
- Adjustable shoulder strap: You can take advantage of the provided shoulder strap to carry the case by suspending it over your shoulder. That way, you can comfortably carry the case while walking on foot through thick bushes. Besides, the shoulder strap is removable. You can also adjust the strap to your most comfortable length.
- Completely padded: The interior of the case is completely padded. The all-round padding ensures that your valuable crossbow is entirely protected from damage, especially when traveling.
- Perfect for both travel and storage
- Reliable protection
- It’s very compact
- Strong material
- The zipper pull tab is weak
- The carrier handle is not strongly stitched in place
Anyone who owns a standard-size forward draw crossbow will find this Wicked Ridge Soft Crossbow Case a perfect choice for storage and transportation.
9. Southwest Archery Universal Takedown
The Southwest Archery Universal Takedown bow case is designed with affordability in mind. It’s specially designed for safe storage of takedown recurve bows. It features a unique, compact design for enhanced portability.
- Spacious interior: The interior of this bow case is very spacious. It has three slots that will keep the limbs and riser of your recurve bow separated. It’s able to fit most takedown recurve bows.
- Front pocket: The case comes with an exterior front pocket. The pocket is designed for storing archery and hunting accessories such as gloves, tab, stringer, and armguard among other accessories that can fit.
- Quality design: Another top feature of this case is that it’s made of top-quality polyester fabric. The fabric resists tear, making it durable. Thus, it’s a great choice for any adventurous hunter.
- Soft case construction: Unlike hard bow cases that are large and bulky, this case features a soft case construction. Thus, it’s lightweight for enhanced portability. You can easily carry it along with you when heading out for archery or hunting.
- Arrow holder: The case comes with an expandable arrow holder. It’s able to hold up two 12 arrows. The arrow holder also comes with storage space for a stabilizer. The arrow holder is attached on the outside with three separate straps for a tight and secure fit.
- Universal fit for takedown recurve bows
- Removable shoulder strap
- Comfortable carrier handle
- Hard plastic arrow tube
- The nylon material making up the slot for inserting the limbs is quite thin
- Only has one outside pocket
The Southwest Archery Universal Takedown bow case is a great option for anyone who wants safe storage and transportation of their takedown recurve bow.
10. TenPoint STAG Hard Case
This TenPoint STAG Hard Case is designed with durability in mind. Its design and heavy-makes it great for protecting a crossbow during storage and travel.
- Rigid construction: The case stands out for its tough, rigid construction. It’s able to withstand pressure and impact. Its tough construction makes it highly durable. Also, the shell is water-resistant to keep your bow and arrows protected from moisture damage.
- Hook and loop straps: The interior of the case comes with two tie-down straps. The straps feature a hook and loop mechanism to assist in securing your crossbow in place during storage. That way, your bow won’t move around during transportation.
- Quiver storage: You can also store your quiver while fully loaded with arrows in the case. The storage section comes with two straps to secure the quiver tightly in place. That way, the arrows won’t move or knock each other when transporting the case.
- Velvet interior: The interior of the case is entirely made of velvet material. The velvet material is dense and soft. Thus, I’ll keep your bow and arrows protected from tear and wear during storage and transportation.
- Side hinge: Another great feature of this case is that it comes with a strong side hinge. The side hinge design combined with its lengthy nature makes it easier to open the case upon unzipping it.
- Well-made and compact
- Easy to carry the case
- Sturdy and durable shell
- Easy to store and retrieve a crossbow
- It’s one of the most pricey bow cases
- Doesn’t fit wide crossbows
- Lacks pockets for storing accessories
If you’re looking for a top-quality bow case for your crossbow and you don’t mind paying a little bit more for a durable case, then you can settle for this TenPoint STAG Hard Case.
How to Choose the Best Bow Case- Factors to Consider
Bow cases are available in different shapes and sizes. Thus, you need to make your choice wisely for the best value of your money. There’re certain factors you should consider to assist you in making the right choice when shopping for a bow case. Consider the following factors:
1. Construction materials
One of the most important considerations to make is the kind of materials used to make the case. It should be made of a material that can resist tear and wear for enhanced durability. A case made of a waterproof shell would be an added advantage to keep moisture away from the stored bow. Also, the interior of the case should be made of a soft material to cushion your bow from damage.
2. Size and capacity
Another important factor to consider is the size and capacity of the case. Its dimensions should be large enough to fit your bow effortlessly. Besides, it’ll be an added advantage if the case has storage for arrows or a quiver. That way, you’ll have less luggage to carry. Additionally, it should have some extra pockets for storing accessories.
Bow cases come in different shapes and sizes. They’re not made equal. Thus, you should choose a case depending on the type of your bow. For instance, some cases are specially made to store crossbows while others are made to store recurve bows, compound bows, or parallel limb bows.
4. Soft bow cases vs hard bow cases
Bow cases are categorized under to main types. These types include soft and hard bow cases. Just like the name suggests, hard cases have a hardened shell while soft cases have a collapsible shell. Hard cases offer more protection to bows than soft cases. The hardened nature of hard cases makes them resist crushing, unlike soft cases that easily collapse under pressure. However, hard cases are bulkier and heavier than soft cases. Hard cases are required for airline travel while soft cases are typically not allowed for airline travel.
Ensure the case you choose is easy to carry. It should at least come with a handheld handle. The handle should be made of a soft material for a more comfortable grip. Also, a shoulder strap would be an added advantage as it will offer an alternative way to carry the case.
6. Locking mechanism and tie-down straps
The case should be lockable either by a zip, latches, or any other locking mechanism. Locking it will ensure that your bow remains inside the case during transportation for safety. Also, the case should have interior tie-down straps to keep the bow secured in place. That way, the bow won’t move around during transportation to reduce the chances of suffering damage.
If you’re a hunter or archer who loves going out for archery or hunting regularly, then you should invest in a high-quality bow case. We’ve reviewed the best bow cases available today. Thus, keep these reviews and buyer’s guide in mind to stand better chances of choosing the right bow case for your valuable bow. By choosing the right bow case, your bow will be less likely to suffer damage during storage or transportation.