Hunting is one of the oldest human activities. If you want to be a successful hunter, it’s important to aim and shoot accurately. Thus, it’s important to train yourself to shoot more accurately to increase your chances of hitting the center of a target. A broadhead target can assist you to improve your shooting skills before heading out for real-life hunting. However, you need the best broadhead target for the best results.
There’re several types of broadhead targets to choose from. They’re made from different materials. Each type is ideal for certain shooting needs. Some are ideal for outdoor use while others are suitable for indoor use. Also, different targets are designed for use with different kinds of bows. Thus, you need to make the right choice for the kind of equipment you’re using.
Quick Comparison Table
Top 10 Broadhead Targets
There’re many types of broadhead targets available today from different manufacturers. As such, not all broadhead targets are made equal. Some outdo others in certain features. Thus, it’s important to make your choice wisely. Here’re detailed reviews of the top 10 broadhead targets available today.
1. Black Hole – 4 Sided Archery Target
This target from Black Hole boasts of premium performance. It’s able to take multiple shots from both broadheads and field points. It’s available in two different sizes. You can choose between 18 and 22 inches depending on your target practice needs.
- Layered design: One of the top features that come with this target is its patented open face layered design. This design makes it suitable for shooting all kinds of broadheads, including expandable broadheads. The open later design makes it easier to remove arrows since it stops them with friction rather than force.
- Supports both field points and broadheads: Another top feature of this target is that it’s ideal for use with both field points and broadheads. It has four shooting sides. Two sides are wrapped while the other two sides are open-face layered. The wrapped sides are meant for shooting at with field points whereas the two open-face layered sides are ideal for shooting at with broadheads.
- Multiple targeting points: Additionally, the target comes with several targeting points on the four shooting sides. For instance, the two open-face layered sides feature a large target point at the center and four smaller target points near the corners. One of the wrapped sides features a single target point while the other wrapped side has three circular target points.
- Portable design: The target is lightweight. Thus, you can easily carry it along with you to different target practice locations. It also comes with a carrier handle at the top for enhanced portability.
- Bright colors: The shooting sides of the target are colored with bright, high-contrast colors. Thus, you can easily see the target even in poor light conditions. Additionally, the bright colors make it ideal for long-distance target practice.
- Great for a beginner
- Greatly priced
- Durable for many practice sessions
- High quality foam material
- Allows for hitting from different angles
- Shouldn’t be used with a high-speed crossbow
- The white markings fade a bit quickly
The Black Hole – 4 Sided Archery Target is ideal for anyone who’s looking for a target that can be shot at using all types of field points and broadheads.
2. Morrell Double Duty 450FPS Field Point Bag Archery Target
Morell Double Duty 450FPS target is specially designed to withstand abuse from arrows shot with compound bows, crossbows, and other bows. It’s able to withstand a high number of shots without losing its form.
- High stopping power: The target comes with a stopping power rated at 450 FPS. Thus, it’s capable of stopping an arrow shot from even the fastest bow. Also, it can withstand arrow penetration shot from any type of bow, including those with a heavy draw weight.
- Replaceable cover: The target is unique in that it features a replaceable cover. Once the existing cover wears out after multiple shots, you can replace it entirely with a new cover to extend the life of the bag. The material within the bag is long-lasting and doesn’t degrade easily.
- Easy to remove arrows: Another top feature of this target is that the bag material is designed for easy arrow removal. That way, you’ll save your energy since you won’t struggle to remove the shot arrows.
- Premium material: This bag target is made of a premium quality material. The material is tested and proven to stop fast arrows and arrows shot from heavy poundage bows. It can stop thousands of arrows before wearing out. Besides, it’s designed with an offset technology that prolongs its life.
- Different target points: Another unique feature of this target is that each shooting side is differently marked. One of the sides includes five traditional bull’s-eyes. The bull’s-eyes are visible from a long distance for long-range target practice. Another shooting side comes with nine-ball bulls-eyes that will assist you to practice shooting more consistently. It also features a shooting side with a dartboard for long-range target practice. Finally, it also features a shooting side with deer vitals for training to shoot at a deer in preparation for real-life deer hunting.
- Four different shooting sides
- Tough target material
- Highly visible color for long-range shooting
- Comes with tote carrying handles
- Free-standing cube design
- The handles come off easily
- It’s relatively heavy
Morrell Double Duty 450FPS Field Point Bag Archery Target stands out for its ability to withstand shots from any type of bow, including bows with a heavy draw weight.
3. Block GenZ 16″ Youth Archery Arrow Target
The Block GenZ 16 inch target is designed to meet the target practice needs of young shooters. It’s made with unique technologies that prolong its life regardless of the kind of broadhead you’re using. It also allows for easy and safe arrow removal.
- PolyFusion technology: The target stands out for being made with a unique PolyFusion technology. The technology utilizes uniformly fused layers within the block target. A broadhead will penetrate the target between the layers such that the layers become compressed uniformly. That way, you’ll find it easier to remove arrows from the target.
- High contrast color: The target points on this target feature circular spots. The circular targets are painted in a high-contrast white color over a black background. That way, the target points are easily visible from a long distance.
- Differently sized target points: The target features two shooting sides, each with four circular target points. The target point in the middle is large for a novice shooter whereas the three smaller target points near the edges are ideal for enhancing your shooting accuracy.
- Lightweight: The target is lightweight for enhanced portability. It comes with a handle that makes it easier to carry. Its lightweight design makes it easy for a young shooter to carry around.
- Long target life: The open layer design of the target uses friction rather than force when stopping arrows. It’s impenetrable such that it’s able to stop broadheads, expandables, and field points. Thus, it doesn’t get damaged quickly for enhanced durability.
- Affordable price range
- Available in two sizes
- Great visibility from long distances
- It’s water-resistant
- It’s ideal for use with all types of arrow points
- Features only 2 shooting sides
- Cannot be used with bows exceeding a draw weight of 40 pounds
The Block GenZ 16″ Youth Archery Arrow Target is specially designed for young shooters and is suitable for use with bows that has a draw weight of up to 40 pounds.
4. GlenDel Buck 3D Archery Target
GlenDel Buck 3D Archery Target is one of the best broadhead targets. It’s specially designed to prepare you to hunt for a big buck. Its design emulates that of a live deer. It weighs 200 pounds such that it will give you the experience of shooting at a real deer.
- Open-layered design: One of the features that stand out in this target is that it comes with an open-layered design. The layered design stops arrows with friction. Thus, you’ll find it easy to remove arrows while still prolonging the life of the target.
- Labeled inserts: The target comes with labeled inserts. The labeling represents the inside view of a real deer such that you can practice to shoot at the most vulnerable spots. Thus, its design offers a more realistic target practice.
- Replaceable vitals: Another top feature is that the target comes with replaceable vital inserts. Once the vitals wear out, you can easily remove them for replacement. The head is also removable for easier transportation.
- Real-like buck design: The target features a three-dimensional design that represents a real-like buck. It weighs 200 pounds like a real buck. Its height and other body dimensions also represent those of a full-grown deer.
- Long target life: The target is built to withstand prolonged use. The inserts can withstand at least 1,000 shots. Thus, it’ll allow you to practice shooting for several sessions before replacing the inserts.
- Layered foam inserts
- Great for long-range target practice
- Great design for an experienced shooter
- Reduced shooter fatigue due to effortless arrow removal
- Can stop all types of broadheads and field points
- Higher price range
- Not very stable
The three-dimensional and deer-like design of this GlenDel Buck 3D Archery Target makes it great for any hunter who loves deer hunting and wants a real-like deer shooting practice.
5. Block Classic Archery Target
Block Classic Archery Target is designed to allow for easy arrow removal. It features a block design and is available in different sizes to choose from. It comes as a solid block for more stableness such that it doesn’t require the use of a stand. You’ll only need to place it on the ground and start shooting.
- Supports several types of arrows: You can use any type of arrow points you want with this target. It stops both broadheads and field points. Thus, you can improve your shooting skills with both kinds of arrow points.
- Clear color scheme: Another benefit of this target is that it comes with a visible color scheme. This makes it easier for a shooter to see the target. It features white target spots on a black background for enhanced visibility.
- Uses friction to stop arrows: The target is designed to stop arrows with friction. When an arrow hits the target, it penetrates and generates heat due to friction. The heat melts the foam material, thereby stopping the arrow from penetrating deeper. That way, the arrow is easily removable and the target doesn’t suffer a lot of damage. Once the arrow is removed, the foam material regains most of its original form.
- Available in different sizes: The target is available in three different sizes including 18, 20, and 22 inches. You can choose the size you want depending on your target practice needs. The smaller target is best for short-range shooting whereas the bigger one is best for a starter and long-range shooting.
- Easy to carry: The target is lightweight for enhanced portability. It’s made of lightweight foam material. Additionally, it comes with a handle on the top that makes it easier to carry. You can simply carry it with one hand.
- Durable high-density foam material
- Open layer design
- Easily visible from a long distance
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to set up since it doesn’t require the use of a support stand
- Only two shooting sides
- Not the best for target shooting with high powered bows
Overall, the Block Classic Archery Target stands out for its portability. It’s ideal for any hunter who wants to practice shooting from different locations since you can easily carry it along with you.
6. Shooter Buck 3D Deer Archery Target
The Shooter Buck 3D Deer Archery Target is designed to give you a more realistic shooting experience. It’s designed to resemble a deer such that it’ll make you feel like you’re shooting at a real deer. That way, you’ll stand higher chances of shooting a real deer once you go out hunting.
- High-density foam: The target is made of a high-density foam material. It’s extremely tough such that it’s able to withstand the pressure of multiple arrow shots. The material is durable such that it will give you many years of service.
- Usable with all arrow tips: The target can withstand shots from all kinds of arrow tips including expandable tips, broadheads, and field points. Besides, it’s able to stop arrows shot from different angles. Thus, you won’t be limited to the kind of arrow tips you can use or the angle of the shot.
- Large target size: This target features a 3D design and has large vitals for enhanced visibility. It’s designed to resemble a real deer. The target stands 4 feet tall with large antlers. It’s also colored to look like a real deer.
- Stable design: Although the target is 4 feet tall, it’s built with enhanced stableness. It comes with ground stakes for a more stable set up. Thus, it won’t fall over upon shooting at it with a heavy-poundage bow.
- Strongly built: Additionally, the target is strongly built and sturdy. It’s weather-resistant such that you can use it under all weather conditions. Thus, you can use it outdoors without worrying about weather elements.
- Slim, portable design
- Replaceable core insert
- Easy arrow removal
- Easy to assemble
- The vitals area comes with scoring rings
- The antlers tend to fall off easily
- You may need to shave off part of the core insert to fit it in when installing it for the first time
If you’re looking for a less pricey 3D target to give you a real-like experience of shooting at a deer, then you won’t go wrong with the Shooter Buck 3D Deer Archery Target.
7. RinehartÂ 18-1 Broadhead Target
RinehartÂ 18-1 Broadhead Target is made to stop arrows shot from even the most powerful bows. It can stop broadheads and other types of arrow tips. It’s designed to offer the kind of performance you’d ever want from a target.
- 18 shooting sides: One of the top features about this target is that it comes with 18 shooting sides. You can rotate the sides on the cube-shaped target as needed. Each shooting side features a marked target, with some sides having smaller target points than others. You can use the smaller target points to enhance your shooting accuracy better or shoot at the larger target points for long-range target practice.
- High visibility: Additionally, the target points on the target are highly visible. They’re circular and colored in a yellowish color against a dark and greenish background whereas the center of each target point is black. That way, you can easily spot the center of each target point. Consequently, you’ll able to train yourself to shoot at the center of a target more accurately.
- Self-healing foam: The target is made of a premium quality foam material. Furthermore, the foam material is self-healing such that it regains its shape after removing an arrow. Consequently, it’s able to withstand heavy usage.
- Tough build quality: Additionally, the target is toughly built to withstand arrow shots of up to 500 FPS. You can shoot at it with all kinds of arrow tips without getting damaged, including broadheads and field points.
- Convenient transportation: Another great feature of this target is that it’s designed for enhanced portability. It’s lightweight for easier transportation. Additionally, it comes with a carry handle that makes it easier to carry from one spot to another.
- Easy to setup
- Very stable
- Easy to remove arrows
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- It’s quite pricey
- It’s relatively small
If you’re willing to spend more for a top-quality target that can withstand the punishment of arrows shot from any bow, then consider the RinehartÂ 18-1 Broadhead Target.
8. Hurricane Bag Archery Target
The Hurricane Bag Archery Target is designed as a 2-sided bag target. It’s built with a durable material for a longer service. It’s designed to weather the storm regardless of the kind of arrow tips you’re using. It also features a unique, colorful design.
- Tri-Core technology: The Tri-Core technology behind the design of this bag makes it withstand an impact of up to 600 fps or 1000 PSI. You can shoot at it from a high-performance bow without getting damaged. It doesn’t develop dead spots easily for enhanced durability.
- Weatherproof: The target is fully stuffed with a dense material. The interior material and the bag cover are weatherproof such that it doesn’t develop mold and mildew. Besides, it doesn’t rot when exposed to moisture. Thus, you can use it outdoors regardless of the weather condition.
- Highly visible coloring: Another top feature of this target bag is its high contrast coloring. The color makes the target bag highly visible from a long distance. The brightly-colored background combined with off-center target points makes it great for target practice.
- Easy to transport: Additionally, the target has a design that makes it easy to transport. It comes with a carry handle that makes it more convenient to transport. It also has hanging grommets at either top corners that make it easy to hang.
- Convenient sizes: The bag is available in three different convenient sizes. You can choose between 20, 25, and 28 inches. Thus, there’s a right size available for everyone’s shooting needs.
- Extremely durable
- Affordable pricing
- High stopping power
- Offset deer vitals at the back
- It requires a stand to mount it
- Challenging to pull out arrows
The Hurricane Bag Archery Target is ideal for anyone looking for an affordable target bag that’s able to withstand weather elements and stop high-speed arrows.
9. Delta McKenzie Chunk Layered Target
Delta McKenzie is a leading manufacturer of targets. The Delta McKenzie Chunk Layered Target boasts of being built with innovative technologies. It features a unique design that makes it stand out from other cube targets.
- Integrated handles: One of the most unique features of this target is that it comes with integrated handles. The integrated handles make it easy to carry the target. Besides, they reduce clutter near the target points such that you’ll have more room for shooting.
- Patented Mo’ Foam technology: Another great feature is that the target is made with patented Mo’ Foam technology. It has undergone a heat process that fuses the material to form one solid block for enhanced durability.
- Layered construction: The bag features a layered construction. The layers are attached to form a solid block. Its solid design eliminates the use of bands and straps that typically hold some targets together. The layers construction makes it possible to pull out arrows with ease.
- Cube design: The target comes in the form of a cube. It’s solidly built and doesn’t require the use of a mounting stand. You can place it on any side and all the sides can be shot at. Thus, it gives you 6 shooting sides, making it one of the best broadhead targets.
- Bright aiming spots: Additionally, the target features white aiming spots and a black background color. The white spots are bright for enhanced visibility. Thus, you can practice shooting with the target even at dusk.
- Greatly priced
- Innovative design
- Great for shooters of all levels
- Compatible with both broadheads and field points
- Tends to move when shot at
- Challenging to remove bolts
Overall, Delta McKenzie Chunk Layered Target is suitable for use by shooters of all levels, including the old, the young, the pros, and the novices.
10. Block Black Crossbow 4-Sided Archery Target
This Block Black Crossbow 4-Sided Archery Target is yet another top-quality target. It’s available in two sizes for your convenience. Its high-density material makes it long-lasting for the best value of your money.
- High-density core: The target is made of a high-density core material that’s able to stop high-speed arrows, especially when shooting bolts at it. Furthermore, it’s able to stop arrows shot from close range.
- GripPit handle: Another unique feature of this target is that it features a GripPit handle. The handle design makes it easy to transport. You can conveniently carry it along with you. Besides, the handle is set at the top such that it doesn’t interfere with the target points.
- High visual contrast: The target comes with four shooting faces that feature white, high-contrast shooting points on a black background. It’s high visual contrast shooting points make it ideal for making precise long-range shots. It’ll also assist you to practice vital shots.
- PolyFusion technology: The target is made using an open layered PolyFusion technology that makes it last longer. The layers making up the block target are fused and maintain their form once an arrow is pulled out.
- Effortless arrow removal: Additionally, the fusion design of the layers makes them compress uniformly once an arrow is shot into them. Their uniform compression makes it effortless to remove an arrow. Easier arrow removal results in reduced shooter fatigue for a less tiring target practice experience.
- Solid build
- You can choose between two sizes
- Stops both field tips and broadheads
- Ideal for both long-range and short-range shooting
- A little heavy
- Might be a bit small for a pro
- Some arrows penetrate too deeply
Block Black Crossbow 4-Sided Archery Target stands out for its durability and ability to stop both arrows and bolts and easy removal of arrows with either broadheads or field tips.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Broadhead Target
As you can see, there’re several targets to choose from. Each option comes with some pros and cons. It can be quite confusing to decide on the right target for your shooting needs. Here’re some factors to consider when choosing a broadhead target to assist you in making an informed choice.
1. Type of Target
Targets are available in different types. The most common types include bag targets, foam block targets, and 3D targets.
Bag targets are one of the most commonly used targets. They’re great for beginner shooters. The whole surface of a bag target can be shot at. The interior material in a bag target is usually made of a synthetic material that can sustain several shots. A high-quality bag target makes it easy to remove arrows. Most bag targets are ideal for both outdoor and indoor use. However, they’re typically porous and not ideal for use in wet conditions.
Foam Block Targets
Foam block targets are some of the best targets made today. They’re advantageous for being lightweight and portable. Thus, you can easily carry them along with you. Foam targets are great for outdoor use. However, their foam material makes it challenging to remove an arrow shot with a heavy poundage bow.
3D targets are more advanced in terms of design than foam and bag targets. They’re designed to resemble the shape of an animal. This makes them ideal to give you an experience close to that of shooting at a real animal. They’re typically lightweight such that you can even carry them to a bush or forest for a better target practice experience. However, a beginner shooter may find it a little challenging to use 3D targets.
2. Number of Shooting Sides
Different broadhead targets come with different numbers of shooting sides. If you want a more challenging experience, choose a target with several differently marked shooting sides. If you’re a novice, then you can choose a simpler target with fewer shooting sides.
An ideal broadhead target should be portable. It should be easy to carry and transport. It should at least have a carry handle for convenience transportation. Also, it should be lightweight for enhanced portability.
4. Build Quality
The quality of the target matters a lot. Ensure the target is built to withstand abuse from the kind of bow you’re using to shoot arrows at it. It should at least maintain most of its original shape and form after shooting at it and retrieving arrows. Also, it should withstand weather elements.
Visibility matters a lot when it comes to target practice. Thus, you should choose a target with a high-contrast color for easier visibility. Ensure the target points on the target are colored in a visible color, especially if you want to practice long-range shooting.
Another major factor to consider when choosing a broadhead target is its stability. It should remain standing in place when shot at. Also, it shouldn’t move around when shot at. That way, you won’t have to keep on setting up the target in place every time it moves or falls over. After all, you wouldn’t want to spend extra money to buy a stand for the target.
When choosing a broadhead target, choose a durable one that will allow you to shoot many arrows at it for several practice sessions. Also, it should be easy to pull out your broadheads from the target. Remember to ensure that the target you choose is the right one for your bow and broadhead. By choosing the best broadhead target, you’ll stand higher chances of improving your shooting skills for more successful hunting.