Successful hunting requires choosing a good spot to hide from your target prey when aiming. One of the best hunting spots is hunting from an elevated surface. That way, your target is less likely to notice you since you’re above their line of sight. One of the best elevated places from which you can hunt is on the top of a tree. However, it’s quite risky to climb up or down a tree without some form of safety equipment. A climbing stick would be your best bet to climb up or down a tree safely.
Climbing sticks are equipment attached to a tree and enable you to climb a tree with reduced risks of falling down. A typical climbing stick features several steps that you hold with your hands and step on with your feet as you climb up or down. Climbing sticks are available in different types, each with its own set of advantages and some shortcomings. Choosing the best climbing stick for your hunting needs can be quite confusing. However, we’ve made it easier for you by reviewing the top 5 climbing sticks available in the market today.
Quick Comparison Table of Best Climbing Sticks
|Climbing Stick||Supported Weight Rating (Pounds)||Our Rating||Price|
|Lone Wolf 4 – Pc||350|
|Guide Gear Quick Climbing Sticks||300|
|Millennium Treestands M210||300|
|Hawk Helium Climbing Stick 3 PK||300|
|Muddy Pro Sticks (4-Pack)||300|
Top 6 Climbing Sticks
There’re many manufacturers today who manufacture different types of climbing sticks. The wide choices available make it rather confusing to differentiate between the good and the bad. We teamed up with professional hunters who have been hunting for many years now to come up with detailed reviews of the top 6 climbing sticks available today. Let’s discuss the options we shortlisted.
1. Lone Wolf 4 – Pc
Lone Wolf has been manufacturing climbing sticks, tree stands, and other hunting equipment for several decades now. The company is widely known for manufacturing outstanding equipment with unmatched performance. The Lone Wolf 4 – Pc climbing stick is designed with enhanced portability, silent operation, and strength.
- Patented V-bracket design: While most climbing sticks come with a V-bracket, the one on this stick is uniquely designed. It features a patented design for enhanced performance. Its V-bracket design makes it possible to mount the stick on a tree that’s leaning either backward or forward. Thus, it won’t restrict you to only use it on straight trees. The V-bracket will fit between two points of contact on the tree trunk for a secure grip on the tree. Besides, the stick will remain straight when mounted on a leaning tree.
- Extremely portable: Another feature that makes this stick a great choice is its portability. You can easily fold it and carry it with your backpack for enhanced mobility when navigating through thick bushes. Besides, its lightweight nature makes it easy to carry around.
- Convenient mounting options: The design behind this stick makes it easy to mount. You can mount it on a tree from different angles as needed. Besides, its rotating V-bracket makes it easy to mount it at different angles on a tree. Additionally, the steps that come with the stick are reversible for enhanced convenience.
- Supports a lot of weight: You definitely want a stick that can support your weight to climb safely. Luckily, this stick supports a weight of up to 350 pounds. Thus, it can comfortably support the weight of most adults. Besides, it’s strongly built and stable for enhanced safety.
- Large steps: The stick is built with a large platform that makes it possible to climb up or down the tree comfortably. You can step on the platform even when wearing large boots. The steps are 8 inches wide and spaced 15 inches apart vertically. That way, you can comfortably climb up or down the climbing stick with a firm foothold.
- Reversible and well-built steps
- Single tube design for ease of setup
- Quick and quiet setup for a more silent installation
- Great for moving between different trees as needed
- Can fit a tree trunk that measures anywhere between 4 to 22 inches in diameter
- It’s a bit pricey
- Its single steps design means your feet won’t be on the same level
If you’re searching for a stick that is easy to set up and foldable for portability, then consider investing in the Lone Wolf 4 – Pc climbing stick.
2. Guide Gear Quick Climbing Sticks
This climbing stick from Guide Gear comes as a set of 3 climbing sticks, each capable of reaching a height of 8 inches. Thus, stacking up the three sticks will give you a total height of 32 inches. It’s strongly built to enhance your safety while climbing.
- Welded steel frames: The stick is entirely made of tubular steel frames. The tubular design of the frames makes them extremely strong such that they can’t bend easily under your weight. This makes them extremely safe for use by most adults. They support a maximum weight of 300 pounds. Additionally, the steel frames are welded together for added strength.
- Extremely durable: The steel material used in making these sticks is high-grade for enhanced durability. The material is finished to resist rust and corrosion. Thus, you can leave the sticks attached to your favorite hunting tree for many days to come without worrying about the effects of harsh weather elements.
- Anti-slip steps: The steps that come with the stick feature an anti-slip design. That way, you can step on them without slipping off, especially when hunting during the rainy or snowy season. Additionally, the stick design features double steps that make it safer to climb higher heights.
- Easy to setup: The only thing you need to do to mount the climbing stick is to find a good tree and position it in place. Each stick has two V-sections that fit on a tree and a strong strap that goes around the tree trunk. There’s no folding or unfolding required since the frame and steps are welded in place as a single structure. Thus, you can quickly mount or demount the stick.
- Three sticks: Another great benefit of these climbing sticks is that they come as a set of three climbing sticks. You can opt to use a single stick or use them all depending on the height you want to reach. Besides, you can space out the sticks when mounting them to extend your climbing height or to reach a tree stand.
- Sturdy metal construction
- Silent and fast mounting
- It’s one of the most affordable climbing sticks
- The strap offers a secure and tight grip around a tree
- Its construction doesn’t rely on screws for more reliability
- It’s a little heavy
- The welded frames make it less portable
If you’re working with a tight budget but need a functional climbing stick, then consider the Guide Gear Quick Climbing Sticks.
3. Millennium Treestands M210
The Millennium Treestands M210 climbing sticks are designed to allow for hunting from an extremely high spot. You can extend it up to 20 feet high. It’s specially designed for mounting on tall and extra-large trees.
- Lengthy buckle straps: One of the most outstanding features that come with this climbing stick is that it has straps measuring 7 feet long. Each section comes with a single strap whereas the topmost section features two straps for enhanced security around a tree trunk. Additionally, the buckle design makes it possible to hook the straps more securely in place.
- Powder coat finish: The steel material used to make the climbing stick comes with a powder coat finish. The coating is durable and protects the metallic material from rust and corrosion. Thus, you can use the stick in all weather conditions without worrying about the effects of weather elements. Consequently, the climbing stick will serve you for many hunting seasons to come.
- Plenty boot room: The steps are designed to offer a lot of boot room. They’re angled away from the tree trunk for more boot room. Also, they’re long enough for enough boot room. Besides, the steps are non-slip for enhanced safety when climbing during wet conditions.
- Supports up to 300 pounds: The steel structure making up the climbing stick is strong enough to support a weight of up to 300 pounds. Thus, it’s strong enough to support the weight of an average adult safely.
- Effortless to mount: Another benefit that comes with this climbing stick is its ease of mounting. There’s no screwing required. Also, you won’t require any tools to mount the stick sections. It’ll only take you a few minutes to set it up.
- Quiet installation
- Tough and durable construction
- Great price range for the height
- Dual top step for enhanced safety
- Comes as a set of 4 sticks
- A bit bulky to be carried in a backpack
- You can’t mount the sections offset from each other
If you don’t fear heights and want to climb tall and extra-large trees, then you won’t go wrong with this 20-foot Millennium Treestands M210 climbing stick.
4. Hawk Helium Climbing Stick 3 PK
The Helium Climbing Stick 3 PK is designed for the best value of your money. The climbing sticks come as 3 stackable sticks. Each stick weighs 2.9 pounds. Thus, these sticks are among the lightest options you can find for enhanced portability.
- Aluminum construction: One of the top features of this stick is that it’s made of premium quality aircraft aluminum material. This material is strong enough to hold the weight of up to 300 pounds. Besides, aluminum material is lightweight. The aluminum material has a natural coating that protects it against corrosion. Thus, the sticks are durable in the harsh outdoor environment.
- Wide steps: Each stick comes with double steps for enhanced safety and comfort when climbing up or down. The steps have a traction grabbing design that allows for a firm footing with your boots. That way, the chances of slipping are reduced. Additionally, the steps are wide enough for even the largest boot.
- Portable design: Another top feature that these sticks boast about is their portable design. You can fold the steps along the length of the stick to make it less bulky. Besides, you can tie up the three sticks together to carry them as one package. Additionally, the lightweight nature of the aluminum material makes the sticks easy to carry.
- Silent lock technology: The climbing sticks boast of being made with innovative silent lock technology that features a silent strap and versa button design. This technology makes it possible to secure the climbing sticks silently around a tree. That way, it reduces noise when mounting the sticks. Consequently, the silent lock technology reduces the chances of alerting your target prey about your presence.
- Patented Tree-Digger Teeth design: Additionally, each climbing stick comes with two V-sections, one at the top and another at the bottom. The V-sections feature Tree-Digger Teeth design, which is a patented technology by Hawk Helium. The teeth are designed to bite tightly into the bark of a tree for a more secure mounting. That way, your safety is enhanced.
- Dual-sided steps
- Superior compact design
- Patented Tight-Pack Bungee straps
- Suction cups technology for stacking the sticks
- They’re quite rough for climbing with bare hands
- The washers between the steps and the central stick structure wear out quickly
The Hawk Helium Climbing Stick 3 PK is one of the most lightweight climbing sticks. It’s compact design and portability makes it ideal for anyone who likes moving to different hunting spots every now and then.
5. Muddy Pro Sticks (4-Pack)
The Muddy Pro Sticks (4-Pack) has been designed for quick and silent setup. It comes as a pack of four climbing sticks and weighs 10 pounds. They have a simple design that makes them effortless to mount and demount from a tree.
- Tall height: The climbing sticks come as a set of 4 sticks. Each section can reach a height of 20 inches. You can install the 4 sections independently to reach a higher height. Thus, you can easily climb a tall tree with the help of these sticks.
- Rope cam system: One of the most unique features about this climbing stick is that it comes with a rope cam system. The rope is wrapped around a tree trunk and slides into a cam system, then secured with a knot. Each stick has its rope and cam system. The cam system works like a trap that prevents the rope from moving around by trapping the knot in place, thereby allowing for a secure installation.
- Quiet installation: The mounting design of these sticks relies on V-brackets and a rope cam system. You won’t have to lock in any parts. Also, the sticks are mounted independently. Thus, there’s no noise when mounting the sticks. As a result, you can mount them without alerting your target prey.
- Double steps design: Another key feature that comes with these steps is that they feature double steps set on both sides of the sticks. Each stick has double steps at the bottom and at the top. The double step design makes it possible to put your hands and legs on the same level one at a time when climbing. Thus, you won’t struggle to climb up or down.
- Supports both straight and bent tree trunks: Luckily enough, these sticks are designed for mounting on both straight and bent tree trunks. Thus, you won’t have to spend your precious time looking for a straight tree.
- Easy to assemble
- Extremely lightweight
- Strong aluminum construction
- The steps come with inbuilt teeth to minimize slipping
- The rope is not very durable
- The rope is a bit short for mounting around large tree trunks
The Muddy Pro Sticks (4-Pack) stands out for being completely silent when setting up, thereby allowing for more stealth hunting. Thus, if you want a climbing stick that allows for more stealth hunting, then this is the best option to consider.
6. XOP-XTREME XOP-LMO4
These climbing sticks from XOP-EXTREME OUTDOOR PRODUCTS come as a set of 4 sticks. They have a camouflage finish that makes them a great hunting gear. Their flexibility and compactness make them one of the best climbing sticks available today.
- Standoff brackets: The sticks come with deep standoff brackets that offer a lot of space between the tree trunk and your boot. Thus, you’ll have enough space for your boot to safely step on the climbing stick steps.
- Thick, long steps: Additionally, the steps are long and thick for enough space for your boots. The steps have treads that will prevent your boot from slipping off, especially when climbing during snowy or wet weather.
- Extended V-brackets: The V-brackets that come with the climbing sticks have an extended design that makes them ideal for mounting on both small and large tree trunks. Their extended nature also makes it possible to mount the sticks with a large clearance away from the tree trunk for more comfortable climbing.
- Rock-solid: The design of these straps allows for a secure mounting on a tree. They feel extremely stable when climbing up or down a tree. Besides, their construction feels very solid and can support a lot of weight.
- Heat-treated strap buttons: Another top feature that comes with these sticks is their heat-treated steel strap buttons. The buttons lock the straps tightly in place for a more secure mounting.
- Arch step technology
- Camouflage finish
- Easy and quick to setup
- Lock tight stacking system
- They’re a bit heavy
- Higher price range
- The locking mechanism is not very durable
The unique design behind these XOP-XTREME XOP-LMO4 climbing sticks makes them one of the safest and most stable climbing sticks available today.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Climbing Stick
When buying a climbing stick, you should ensure that it meets all your needs. Not all climbing sticks are made equal. Some are better suited for different hunting situations than others while some models are better designed than others. After all, you wouldn’t want to risk your safety when climbing up or down a tree by making the wrong choice. Thus, it’s important to ensure that you’re making the right choice. Let’s discuss the most important factors to consider when choosing a climbing stick.
Your safety should come first when choosing a climbing stick. The climbing stick you should be well built to make it safe for you to climb a tree. The stick should have a secure mounting mechanism for stability. If the sticks are stackable, they should lock in tightly between the stackable sections. Also, the steps should have a non-slip design to ensure your boots step on them tightly enough for your safety. If the steps are foldable, ensure they lock tightly when unfolded.
Another important factor to consider is the height of the sticks. Consider choosing climbing sticks that are tall enough for the kind of height you want to hunt from. Hunting from a higher height will give you more advantage over your prey. In this case, stackable climbing sticks are a great choice since you can stack several sections to reach the desired height.
When hunting, you definitely want to carry as minimum weight as possible. Thus, you wouldn’t want to invest in a climbing stick that’s too heavy to carry around. Only consider a heavy climbing stick if you want to mount it on a tree more permanently such that you can leave it on the tree for use on the same tree for several days to come. If you want to move between several hunting locations, then consider a lightweight climbing stick for enhanced portability. Also, consider a compact climbing stick if you always want to move with it to new hunting locations quite often.
4. Construction materials
The materials used in constructing the climbing stick also matters. Ensure the stick is made of a solid material to guarantee your safety. Also, ensure the material resists rust and corrosion. It should be durable for longevity such that you can use it for several hunting seasons to come.
5. Ease of setup
The best climbing stick is the one that is easy and quick to setup. Consider a climbing stick that can be setup without using any specialized tools. Also, it should be easy to demount the climbing stick. Besides, consider a climbing stick with a low noise level when setting up for more stealth hunting.
6. Supported weight rating
Another important factor to consider is the supported weight rating of the climbing stick. The climbing stick should be able to support your weight for your safety. That way, it won’t collapse under your weight.
As a hunter, you need a stable and elevated hunting spot for more successful shooting at your target prey. We’re hoping that our reviews and buyers guide on the best climbing sticks will assist you to find the best option for all your hunting needs. Remember to consider important factors such as durability, portability, safety, ease of setup, weight rating, and height of the climbing stick.