Crossbow bolts are special projectiles used with a crossbow. While most types of bows shoot arrows, crossbows shoot bolts. Bolts are also known as quarrels. They’re generally shorter but heavier than arrows. The kind of bolts you’ll choose for hunting with a crossbow will have a huge impact on your chances of hitting a target accurately with maximum damage to the target prey.
Just like other hunting equipment, it’s important to do thorough research about the brand of bolts you want to buy. Since there’re many manufacturers of bolts available today, it can be a daunting task to decide on the best brand or model. You shouldn’t spend your hard-earned money until you’re sure about the characteristics that make up a reliable bolt. We’ve reviewed the 10 best crossbow bolts available today to make it easier for you to make the right choice.
Quick Comparison Table of Best Crossbow Bolts
Top 10 Crossbow Bolts
Crossbows bolts are not made the same. Different bolts are suitable for different shooting situations. Some come with fixed-blade broadheads while others feature removable-blade broadheads and expandable-blade broadheads. Nevertheless, here’re the best bolts to choose from, including their top features, pros, and cons.
1. REEGOX 20 inch Crossbow Bolts Bio
REEGOX is a leading manufacturer of arrows and other archery and hunting equipment. The company boasts of using top-quality materials when making its products for added strength and longevity. The REEGOX 20 inch Crossbow Bolts Bio is not any different. It’s made to be tough for all your crossbow shooting needs.
- High-quality and simple design: These bolts are specially made with quality in mind for durability. They’re also designed to enhance the accuracy and speed of every shot. This makes them suitable for a beginner hunter or archer. Besides, their simplicity and affordability make them a suitable investment for a beginner.
- Comes as a dozen pack of bolts: One of the best things about these bolts is that they come in a pack of 12 bolts. Thus, they’re enough for all your shooting needs. They’ll serve you for many days to come before demanding a replacement. The set of 12 bolts is enough to get you covered through several hunting seasons.
- Great for shooting small to medium-sized prey: In case you prefer hunting small to medium-sized prey, these are the right bolts for you. They have a shaft length of 20 inches and a total weight of 452 grains. They also have a 125-grain target point. Thus, if you love hunting deer, these are the perfect bolt size for the job.
- Smooth and stable flight: The bolts come with 4-inch TPU vanes. The vanes give each bolt a smooth and stable flight after shooting it. Their smooth and stable flight enhances their accuracy, thereby increasing the chances of hitting the center of the target.
- Carbon fiber material: The bolts are made of carbon fiber material for toughness and durability. Besides, the material is lightweight. Also, carbon fiber makes it possible to return the bolts to their original shape in case they bend.
- Affordable price range
- Well-designed moon knock
- Great for target practicing
- Easy to repair or replace its components
- Each bolt comes with a target point
- They’re prone to bending
- The target points loosen after hitting a target
If you’re a beginner hunter or archer, the EEGOX 20 inch Crossbow Bolts Bio will be one of the Best Crossbow Bolts for you before becoming a pro.
2. Tiger Archery 30 Inch Carbon Arrow
These bolts from Tiger Archery come with a shaft length of 30 inches, and a weight of 13 grains per inch. They come as a set of 12 carbon bolts and 6 free nocks. They’re ideal for use with both compound bows and crossbows with a weight of 40 to 60 pounds.
- Extremely durable: The shafts of these bolts are made with top-quality carbon material for enhanced durability and compactness. The fletchers are made of plastic whereas the tips are made of stainless steel and nickel-plated. Thus, moisture and other weather elements won’t affect the fletchers and tips. Their multi-layered build makes them ideal for target practice due to reduced chances of splintering.
- Stable flight: Each bolt measures 13 grain per inch. The rear section is stiff and comes with a fletcher that enhances the stability of the bolt during its flight. The spine allows for reduced oscillation upon shooting the bolt. Additionally, they’re not hugely affected by wind drifts. Thus, the bolt is more likely to hit the center of the target.
- High penetration power: The stainless steel tips are nickel-plated for enhanced wear resistance. Their lightweight nature combined with strength and pinpoint accuracy gives them a lot of penetration power. Thus, they’ll get deeper into the prey for more damage and increased chances of falling your prey.
- Replaceable nocks: The bolts come with replaceable nocks. They’re not permanently fixed in place. Thus, you can attach the type of nock suitable for your bow. You can adjust the nocks depending on the kind of crossbow or compound bow you’re using.
- Great for all game sizes: The strength behind the design of these bolts makes them suitable for hunting all game sizes. They can penetrate and fall large game. That way, you won’t be limited to the size of the game you can hunt.
- High precision
- Solidly built
- High reliability
- Can be used for target practicing
- Lightweight enough for a beginner
- You may have to glue the fletching in place
- Some target points come off when removing the bolt from a target
These Tiger Archery 30Inch Carbon Arrow bolts are ideal for all target practicing needs, thanks to their straight line of sight and reliability.
3. Carbon Express PileDriver Fletched Carbon Crossbolt
These bolts from Carbon Express come as a pack of 6 bolts. They feature 4-inch vanes and a 20-inch shaft. Additionally, they have a total weight of 442 grains. Their overall build quality will give you the kind of confidence you need for more successful hunting.
- Heavy construction: Each bolt weighs 442 grains. The heavy construction in terms of grain weight makes the bolt have high kinetic energy for a heavy impact on a target. Thus, the bolt can penetrate through tough hide and crush bones for higher chances of falling down your prey.
- Composite material: The bolts are made of composite material for enhanced strength and durability. The bolts are not prone to bending on impact. Thus, they’ll serve you for many days to come. Besides, their advanced construction allows for enhanced reliability.
- High stability: The 4-inch vanes that come with each bolt in this pack of 6 are designed to enhance the stability of the bolts during their flight. Their stability improves their accuracy. Thus, you’re more likely to hit the target rather than losing your precious arrows in the bush. Besides, the design of the vanes allows the bolts to maintain maximum speed during their flight for more damage to the prey.
- High performance: The bolts are engineered for improved shooting accuracy. They have a straightness rating of +/- 0.004 inches that assures high precision shooting. Thus, you’re assured of high-level consistency after every shot.
- Advanced design: The bolts are built with improved shaft alignment combined with controlled bolt release for more accuracy. Each nock has a collar design that keeps the shaft protected from damage in case of an impact on the end of the nock. Besides, each bolt is designed with laser technology to make its flight straighter.
- Durable vanes
- Comes with 6 universal nocks
- High straightness tolerance
- High kinetic energy
- Great for hunting large-sized game
- Less ideal for shooting at long distances
- Field points aren’t included
If you’re looking for bolts that can offer bone-crushing power and ultimate penetration, then consider shooting your prey with these Carbon Express PileDriver Fletched Carbon Crossbolt.
4. BARNETT 16075 Outdoors Carbon Crossbow 20-Inch
The BARNETT 16075 Outdoors Carbon Crossbow comes with a shaft measuring 20 inches long and a weight of 13.78 grains per inch. The bolts come as a set of 5 with a durable construction. Besides, they come with field points with a weight of 100 grains.
- Great wall thickness: Each shaft is built with improved wall thickness. The improved thickness makes the bolt more durable such that it’s less prone to bending. Besides, its thickness also allows for more damage to the flesh of the prey. Its thickness allows for a larger wound, thereby increasing the chances of the prey leaving a larger blood trail.
- Lightweight shaft: The shaft that comes with each bolt is made of lightweight carbon material. The lightweight nature of the shafts makes the bolts more portable. Also, their lightweight nature enhances the accuracy of the bolts when shooting at a target located at a longer distance. This is because the lightweight nature of the bolt experiences fewer drops over a longer distance.
- Strongly built: Although the bolts are made with a lightweight shaft, they’re strongly built for enhanced durability. Additionally, their strength allows the bolts to penetrate deeply into a target. Besides, the bolt is less likely to bend or splinter.
- Half-moon nock: Each bolt features a well-designed half-moon nock. The half-moon nock design features a wide and shallow concave groove set in a flat nock. That way, the crossbow string seats within the nock after releasing the trigger for reduced dry-firing.
- A straight line of flight: The overall design of the bolts allows them to maintain a more straight line of flight upon launching them. Thus, you’re more likely to hit the center of your target more accurately. That way, you’re more likely to succeed in hunting.
- Each bolt comes with a field point
- Attractive orange fletching
- Ideal for use with most crossbows
- They allow for tighter shot grouping
- Optimal penetration
- The tips may get stuck in the target
- The nocks are not very strong
Any lover of archery range shooting or target shooting will not get disappointed by choosing the BARNETT 16075 Outdoors Carbon Crossbow bolts.
5. Musen 30 Inch Carbon Archery Arrows
The Musen 30 Inch Carbon Archery Arrows come as a set of 12 bolts, each measuring 30 inches in length. Additionally, the bolts feature an outer diameter of 7.8 mm, with black and white vanes measuring 3 inches.
- High precision: One of the most outstanding features of these bolts is that they’re designed for high precision. The shafts are lightweight for more accuracy when hunting or target practicing. Their straightness also enhances their precision.
- Solidly build: Another notable feature that these bolts have to boast about is their solid build. They’re made of strong carbon material. Thus, they’re less likely to bend or break in case they hit a hard target or when trying to free them from a target when stuck. Besides, their solid build makes them long-lasting.
- TPU rubber vanes: Each bolt in this set of 12 comes with a TPU rubber vane. These vanes allow the bolts to maintain balance during their flight. The vanes also allow the bolts to maintain a more straight line of flight. Consequently, they’re less susceptible to both right and left misses. Also, they’re able to maintain accuracy in tough weather conditions.
- Removable field points: The field points are screwed in the shaft such that they stay tightly in place. Besides, this makes them removable for easier replacement. You can replace them with field points of your choice in case they get damaged after prolonged use.
- Stainless steel field points: Additionally, the field points are made of stainless steel. They’re extremely strong for easier penetration into tough hide and bones. Besides, their stainless steel construction makes them resist corrosion and rust.
- 100-grain tips
- Available as a dozen bolts
- Tight nock for enhanced grip on the bowstring
- Ideal for use with multiple types of bows
- Easy to flatten the fletching in case it bends
- Not ideal for use with high poundage bows
- Not the best for professional shooting needs
Looking for bolts to use for both target practicing and hunting? If so, the Musen 30 Inch Carbon Archery Arrows are your best bet.
6. BARNETT 16079 Outdoors Carbon Crossbow
These pack of 5 crossbow bolts from BARNETT come with shafts measuring 22 inches long, with a weight of 13.78 grains per inch. Their field tips weigh 100 grains. They’re designed for use with multiple types of crossbows.
- High grain point: Each crossbow bolt in this pack comes with a field point. The field points weigh 100 grains. Thus, they’re more likely to penetrate deeper into the prey. The points are also designed to cause maximum injury on the prey to increase the chances of falling it more quickly.
- High level of accuracy: The design of the bolts increases their accuracy, thanks to their weight and seamless shaft design. They make it possible to make tighter shot groupings. Consequently, they allow for consistent accuracy when shooting multiple bolts at a target.
- Durable construction: Another notable benefit that comes with these bolts is their sturdy and durable construction. They’re made of high-quality carbon for enhanced strength and durability while keeping their weight lower.
- Versatile design: These bolts boast of having a versatile design. You can use them with different types of crossbows. Besides, you can use them for both hunting and archery. They’re also suitable for target practicing.
- Ideal for shooting larger prey: If you’re a hunter who likes hunting for larger game, these bolts will do the job for you, thanks to their strong build. The shaft measures 22 inches long, making it ideal for falling larger game.
- High-quality build
- Ideal for hunting larger game
- Half-moon nock
- 360-degree high spine consistency
- You may need to sharpen the points
- The vanes feel loose
Overall, the BARNETT 16079 Outdoors Carbon Crossbow bolts are high-performance and ideal for anyone who wouldn’t mind spending extra money on durable bolts.
7. Carbon Express PileDriver Fletched
These set of 6 bolts are yet another top quality product from Carbon Express. The shaft of each bolt weighs 442 grains and measures 0.348 inches in diameter. Each shaft is 20 inches long. The bolts are designed for high performance and precision to make your hunting experience more successful.
- Powerful penetration: The shafts and tips are made of heavy grain weight. Their heavy grain weight enables them to hit the target prey with massive power, thereby penetrating deeply into the flesh. Besides, the bolts can crush through tough bones for maximum damage to the prey.
- Enhanced straightness: The diameter of the bolt is uniform and regular. The entire bolt is straight and is designed to fly along a more straight flight path for more accuracy. Thus, you’re more likely to hit the exact spot you’re targeting on the prey.
- Properly constructed: Another notable feature that comes with these bolts is that they’re properly constructed for unmatched performance. They’re made of composite carbon for enhanced strength. Besides, the composite carbon material is durable.
- Exception reliability: The bolts offer reliable performance in outdoor shooting. They’re able to offer repeat performance, especially in archery and target practice where tight shot grouping is important. Consequently, the bolts allow for more consistency when shooting at a target.
- Durable vanes: The bolts come with 4-inch vanes. The vanes are made of a durable material and don’t bend easily. The design behind these vanes keeps the bolts stable during their flight for enhanced accuracy.
- High precision design
- Comes with 6 extra flat nocks
- Has a straightness rating of +/- 0.004 inches
- High kinetic energy
- Field points are not included
- Not the best for creating tight shot groupings
The high kinetic energy and bone-crushing power behind the Carbon Express PileDriver Fletched bolts makes them ideal for hunting large game.
8. BloodSport 20-Inch Crossbow Bolts
The BloodSport 20-Inch Crossbow Bolts come as a pack of 6 bolts. Each shaft features a weight of 9 grains per inch and a total weight of 325 grains. Also, each bolt comes in a standard length of 20 inches. Besides, the manufacturer has made them with quality in mind.
- Standard size: The bolts come with a shaft measuring 20 inches long. The bolts also come in a standard diameter. Their standard size makes them ideal for use with most crossbows. Furthermore, its construction makes it ideal for all hunters.
- Glued-in insert: Each bolt comes with an insert that is tightly glued in place. The inserts are of a standard size and will allow you to install field points and broadheads of your choice.
- High-speed design: These bolts are specially designed for high-speed shooting. You can use them with a high-speed crossbow or a high pounding crossbow. This makes them ideal for making multiple shots on a prey, especially when hunting larger game that may not fall with a single shot.
- Lightweight: The bolts are designed to be lightweight. They also feature a small diameter. That way, they’re able to cut through air and wind at high speed over a long distance. Consequently, you can easily hit a target far away from you.
- Blazer vanes: Another unique feature that comes with these bolts is that each one of them features blazer vanes. These vanes reduce drag to allow the bolt to maintain maximum speed along its flight path. They also enhance the balance of the bolt. These vanes are also durably made.
- Consistent performance
- Greatly priced
- +/- 0.003-inch straightness
- Highly accurate
- You need to purchase field points separately
- The vanes are not of the best quality
If you like shooting with a high-speed crossbow, then you won’t go wrong with the BloodSport 20-Inch Crossbow Bolts. Furthermore, they’re great for long-distance shooting.
9. MS Jumpper Archery Carbon Arrows
These bolts from MS Jumpper come in a pack of 6, with 4-inch vanes made of real feathers. All the components of the bolts are made of top quality materials. They perform superbly with good speed and reduced hand shock.
- Screw-in field points: One of the advantages of these bolts is that they come with screw-in field points. You can easily unscrew them for replacement once damaged. Thus, they’re easy to replace with field points and broadheads of your choice.
- Stainless steel field points: Additionally, the field points are made of stainless steel. This material resists corrosion and is strong for extra durability. Besides, steel is tough and keeps the shaft protected when hitting a hard target.
- Lengthy bolts: The bolts are available in different lengths. You can choose between 28, 29, 30, and 31 inches long. They’re long enough to penetrate deep into the prey. Their lengthy design also makes them ideal for hunting larger game.
- Carbon fiber material: The bolts are made of high-quality carbon fiber. This makes them lightweight yet durable. They flex but don’t bend permanently. Thus, they’re super-straight. Their smaller diameter also allows for deeper penetration into larger prey.
- Real feather vanes: Another benefit that comes with these bolts is that they feature real feather vanes measuring 4 inches long. Feather vanes are lightweight such that they allow for high acceleration. They generate less friction in the air for more speed. Their guidance reduces drag by preventing fishtailing of the bolts.
- Field points are provided
- Top-quality materials and construction
- High performance
- The vanes are a little delicate
- The nocks are fragile
This set of 6 MS Jumpper Archery Carbon Arrows are ideal for both target practicing and hunting, and you can use them with different types of bows including crossbows, compound bows, recurve bows, and longbows.
10. Black Eagle Executioner Crossbow Fletched
These crossbow bolts from Black Eagle come as a pack of 6 carefully designed bolts. The bolts are specially designed to deliver superior performance combined with high accuracy and powerful kinetic energy for maximum damage on prey. Additionally, each shaft features a weight of 9 grains per inch and a total weight of 326 grains.
- Brass inserts: These bolts come with brass inserts that give the bolts an ideal forward of center. Their design and weight allow for enhanced accuracy of the bolt during its flight without losing its kinetic energy and speed. Consequently, the bolts deliver deadly penetration power into the prey.
- Pressed fit nocks: The bolts come with installed half-moon nocks and spare flat nocks. The nocks are pressed fit in place without being glued. Thus, you can easily replace the nocks as needed.
- High consistency: These bolts are designed using an advanced technology that maximizes their shot grouping ability. The spines of the bolts are matched to allow for tighter group shots, thereby delivering a high level of consistency.
- Available in several sizes: The manufacturer has made these bolts with different sizes to choose from. You can choose between shaft lengths such as 16, 18, 20, and 22 inches. Each shaft size comes with a straightness rating of either +/- 0.001 or +/-0.003 inches. That way, you’ll have the freedom to choose the right size for your crossbow and hunting needs.
- Cresting color scheme: These bolts are unique in that they come in a cresting color scheme. They’re brightly colored, making them ideal for use in poor light conditions. That way, you’ll find it easier to trace the bolts in low light. Additionally, the bolts have a scratch-resistant coating to keep them protected from tear and wear.
- High-speed performance
- Available in different sizes to choose from
- 3-inch fletching
- A bit pricey for a pack of 6 bolts
- The fletching are not properly aligned with the spine
If you don’t mind breaking the bank for superior bolts, then consider these high-speed Black Eagle Executioner Crossbow Fletched bolts in your shortlist.
What to Consider Before Buying a Crossbow Bolt
Crossbow bolts are available in different sizes, construction materials, and many other variables. Some may work with your crossbow while others may not suit your hunting or archery needs. Thus, it’s important to ensure the bolts you’re about to buy are the right ones for your crossbow and shooting needs. There’re several factors you need to consider before making your final decision. Let’s discuss the most important factors to consider before buying a crossbow bolt.
1. Construction Materials
Crossbow bolts are available in different materials. The most common materials used in making bolts include carbon fiber, aluminum, and fiberglass. Each material has its own benefits and shortcomings. Carbon bolts are tough and lightweight and allow for more flexion such that the shaft doesn’t suffer a lot of stress upon impact. Thus, carbon bolts are very durable. They’re more ideal for hunting but tend to be more expensive than aluminum.
On the other hand, aluminum bolts are less expensive than carbon fiber and fiberglass bolts. They’re not prone to spine separation. However, the bend easily and are heavier than carbon and fiberglass bolts. Fiberglass bolts absorb shock and are not prone to bending. However, fiberglass bolts are the most expensive option.
2. Straightness of the Bolt
Another important factor to consider is the straightness of the bolt. Straighter bolts are able to have a more consistent flight. When buying a pack of arrows, their straightness will determine how accurate they’ll hit a target. This is especially important in archery, where tight grouping shots is important when competing.
3. Weight of the Bolt
The weight of a bolt is expressed in grains per inch. It’s important to consider the weight of a bolt since it’ll largely determine its speed and penetration power. If a bolt is extremely light, then it’ll have a weaker penetration power. Also, if it’s too heavy, its shooting range will suffer. Thus, it’s important to create a balance in weight depending on your shooting applications. Generally, lighter arrows are more ideal for long-range and high-speed shooting while heavier arrows are more ideal for short-range and heavy pounding shooting.
4. Type of Nock
The nock is the bolt section inserted at the back section of a bolt in which the bowstring sits when positioning the bolt. It’s important to choose a top-quality nock for maximum kinetic energy transfer from the crossbow to the bolt. Ensure the type of nock on the bolt is ideal for use with your crossbow.
Bolts come with different types of nocks such as half-moon, half-moon hybrid, flat, and lighted nocks. Half-moon nocks are most suitable for archery and daytime hunting. Half-moon hybrid nocks are ideal for multiple fletching positions. Flat nocks feature the oldest nock style and make it possible to position the bolt in the bowstring in any desired position. Lighted nocks are best for use in the dusk and nighttime hunting.
Crossbow bolts are available in different lengths. The length of a bolt may affect its overall weight. Typically, a longer bolt would be heavier than a shorter bolt of the same grain per inch. Also, shorter bolts fly at a higher speed than longer bolts of a similar grain per inch. Besides, ensure that the length of the bolt you’re choosing is ideal for use with your crossbow.
Upon going through these reviews, ensure the bolt you’re choosing is ideal for your shooting needs. Also, ensure the length and weight of the bolt is the right size for your crossbow. Besides, the bolt should be of high quality. Hopefully, our reviews and buying guide will assist you in finding the best crossbow bolt for more successful hunting.