Today, there’s an increasing trend among hunters going back to traditional longbows and ditching modern bows. Longbows are simple to use for any user, including learners. Longbows also feel authentic. They offer a unique hunting experience. Today, you’ll find dozens of longbow brands. Thus, choosing the best longbow can be quite confusing.
Buying the wrong longbow may cause you a lot of inconveniences when hunting. For instance, a poorly designed longbow may contribute significantly to inaccurate shots. Also, a low-quality longbow can break apart and cost you more money to buy a second one. Thus, it’s important to buy the right longbow the first time. Read on for detailed reviews on the top-quality longbows available today.
Quick Comparison Table
|Longbow||Draw Weight (Pounds)||Our Rating||Price|
|KAINOKAI Traditional Handmade Longbow||25 to 55|
|Southland Archery Supply SAS Pioneer||29 to 60|
|Longbowmaker Hungarian Style 110LBS H1||35 to 60|
|TOPARCHERY Archery 60” Longbow||30 to 50|
|Longbowmaker Pigskin Handmade||20 to 110|
Top 5 Longbows
Whether you’re an archer or hunter, buying a top performance longbow will increase your chances of shooting at the center of a target. Luckily for you, we’ve reviewed the best and most reliable longbows available today to assist you in making a more informed choice.
1. KAINOKAI Traditional Handmade Longbow
KAINOKAI boasts of selling bows built carefully by experienced craftsmen. This KAINOKAI Traditional Handmade Longbow is specially made for high-speed and powerful arrow shooting.
- Durably made: One of the top features of this longbow is that it’s made to offer a long-lasting service. For instance, the arm of the bow is specially made with a transparent epoxy material. The epoxy is thereafter wrapped carefully in premium quality leather. The handle of the bow is made of locust wood. Furthermore, the handle is painted and polished to minimize tear and wear of the string. Besides, the painting makes it waterproof for outdoor use.
- Available in several draw weights: The bow is available in different draw weights ranging from 25 pounds and up to 55 pounds. The ones with lower draw weights are more ideal for short-range shooting whereas the ones with higher draw weights are ideal for long-range shooting. Also, lower draw weight is more ideal for women and learners whereas a higher draw weight is more ideal for men and professionals. Thus, there’s a bow for everyone.
- Single piece design: The bow is built as a single piece of equipment. It doesn’t require any assembling or disassembling of any parts since it comes as a single unit. Besides, its design makes it ideal for use by both left-handed and right-handed users.
- Highly reliable: Additionally, the longbow is designed for enhanced accuracy and performance. Its high-grade materials make it reliable for long term use. It’s simple construction and design makes it ideal for shooting all kinds of arrows with high accuracy.
- Enhanced protection: Another key feature that comes with this longbow is its protective features. It comes with a finger guard and a hand guard. The finger guard will keep your fingers protected from getting injured by the bowstring while drawing it. On the other hand, the hand guard will protect the hand holding the bow from getting injured by the arrow fletching.
- A bow bag is provided
- String wax is provided
- Comes with three hunting arrows
- Three arrow target papers are provided
- Comes complete with a bowstring provided
- Not the best for young users due to its size and weight
- The provided arrows are not of the best quality
The KAINOKAI Traditional Handmade Longbow is ideal for target training, exercise, hunting, and even as a collection for interior decoration.
2. Southland Archery Supply SAS Pioneer
The Southland Archery Supply SAS Pioneer longbow is specially designed to make it more thrilling to shoot arrows effortlessly. It’s also designed to allow for comfort when holding it in readiness to shoot an arrow.
- Elegant design: You’ll definitely get attracted to this longbow the moment you set your eyes on it. It’s carefully crafted to give it a nice, smooth finishing. Its elegancy makes it worth its high price range.ment
- Premium quality: This longbow boasts of being made with premium quality materials. For instance, the riser is made of Cassia Siamea and Makore wood. It’s further reinforced with fiberglass for more strength. Makore wood is rot-resistant, which makes the bow resist weather elements. On the other hand, Cassia Siamea is a tough wood that makes the longbow durable.
- Arrow rest: Another top feature of this longbow is that it comes with an arrow rest that allows for more consistent arrow flight. That way, you can easily make tighter group shots. The arrow rest is covered with fur padding to allow for more accurate and smoother shots.
- mfortable grip: Another reason that makes this longbow worth your consideration is that it comes with a grip covered in leather for enhanced comfort. That way, your hand is protected against fatigue. Besides, the grip design makes the bow ideal for holding by hands of all sizes.
- Durable limbs: The limbs that come with this longbow are made of fiberglass and maple. The combination of fiberglass and maple makes it very strong and highly durable to handle extensive usage. The limb tips are specially reinforced for more accurate draw weight.
- Available in several draw weights
- 68 inches long
- Great shape for enhanced stability
- Comes with a bowstring
- Centered arrow shelf for more accurate long-range shooting
- Higher price range
- Only ideal for right-handed shooting
Although the Southland Archery Supply SAS Pioneer is quite pricey, it remains one of the best longbows, thanks to its high-performance design.
3. Longbowmaker Hungarian Style 110LBS H1
Longbowmaker Hungarian Style 110LBS H1 is designed with affordability in mind. It’s carefully handmade and tested to assure you of reliability and convenience when shooting at a target. It’s available in a draw weight of between 35 to 60 pounds to suit the needs of different users.
- Multifunctional: One of the key features that make this longbow worth your consideration is that it’s ideal for a wide range of applications. You can use it for target practice, competition archery, and hunting. Thus, you only need this longbow for all shooting applications rather than buying several bows.
- Universal suitability: The design behind this longbow makes it ideal for use by both adults and youngsters. Regardless of how strong or weak your muscles are, you can reliably use this longbow. Thus, women and youngsters can easily use this longbow safely regardless of their muscle weakness.
- Wide range of draw weight: The longbow is available in different draw weights ranging from 35 to 60 pounds. This wide range of draw weight makes it ideal for all shooting needs and scenarios. For instance, a beginner or anyone who wants to practice can choose the one with a draw weight of 30 pounds. If you want the longbow for hunting, then choose one with a draw weight of at least 40 pounds.
- High-quality parts: Another top feature that this longbow boasts of is that it’s made with premium quality parts. For instance, the riser is carefully made with Makore, Siamea, and Cassia woods. The riser is further covered with high-quality cow leather. Additionally, the limbs are made of beech wood and glass steel for enhanced flexibility and strength.
- High accuracy- This longbow is taller than most of its competitors for enhanced accuracy in hitting a target. It features a body length of 54 inches and a string measuring 51 inches long. Its lengthy nature makes it ideal for both beginners and experienced archers.
- Affordable price range
- Highly durable
- Handmade construction
- Comes with a cloth bag
- A detailed instruction book is provided
- The bowstring is not of the best quality
- Doesn’t have an arrow rest
Longbowmaker Hungarian Style 110LBS H1 stands out for its affordability, making it a great option for anyone looking for a budget-friendly longbow.
4. TOPARCHERY Archery 60” Longbow
TOPARCHERY Archery 60” Longbow is available in different draw weights to choose from. The available draw weights range from 30 to 50 pounds. It boasts of being capable to offer a draw length of up to 36 inches. Its 60 inches long with a bowstring measuring 145 cm long.
- Lightweight: One of the most desirable features of this longbow is that it’s extremely lightweight. This makes it ideal for use by learners and children. Despite being lightweight, it feels very sturdy for enhanced durability.
- Reflex deflex design: Another feature that makes it one of the best longbows is that it features a reflex and deflex design. This design makes it ideal for high-speed shooting. It also reduces shock in the hand after releasing an arrow.
- Well-balanced: The longbow is crafted carefully to make it well-balanced. Its balanced design allows for shooting arrows straight. Its balanced design also makes it highly reliable for more accurate shots.
- String silencers: Additionally, this longbow comes with two string silencers. The silencers work by reducing vibration and noise after releasing an arrow. The reduced vibration and noise allow for more comfortable and accurate shots.
- Enhanced durability: The bow is made of durable wood and laminate for enhanced toughness. The string silencers further enhance its durability by absorbing residual energy, thereby preventing the bowstring and bow from weakening.
- Smooth draw
- Makes powerful shots
- Comfortable to use
- Ideal for both left and right-handed users
- The silencers fall off after some shots and you need to keep reattaching them
- The bowstring is relatively thin
Overall, TOPARCHERY Archery 60” Longbow is suitable for both target shooting and hunting and is ideal for use by shooters of all levels of experience.
5. Longbowmaker Pigskin Handmade
This longbow from Longbowmaker is designed to offer efficient and reliable performance in all hunting situations. It’s made of quality materials to guarantee you many years of service. It stands out in several aspects.
- Great balance: One of the best features of this longbow is that it has a great balance when holding it and drawing the bowstring. Its great balance makes it great for learners since they’ll find it easy to shoot with it.
- Reduced hand shock: Another top feature is that the design of this longbow reduces hand shock. It’s designed for comfortable use such that it won’t shock your hand after releasing an arrow. Thus, you’ll find it less fatiguing to take multiple shots with the bow.
- Extensive range of draw weights: You’ll appreciate the extensive range of draw weights to choose from. It’s available in draw weights ranging from 20 to 110 pounds. Thus, there’s a draw weight for everyone, including learners and more experienced shooters. Also, whether your muscle strength is weak or strong, there’s a draw weight available for you.
- Carefully handmade: The longbow is carefully crafted and handmade for guaranteed performance. It’s made of top quality materials including premium wood, beech, cow leather, pigskin, and glass steel for added strength and durability. Thus, you can rest assured that you’re investing in a premium quality longbow.
- Left and right orientations: The design of this longbow makes it suitable for both left and right orientations. This means that both left-handed and right-handed shooters can use it. As a right-handed shooter, you can hold it with the left hand and shoot with the right hand. Also, as a left-handed shooter, you can hold it with your right hand and shoot with the left hand.
- Comes with an instruction book
- Comes with a cloth bag to keep it protected
- Fully equipped with a bowstring
- Laminated limbs that resist tear and wear
- The bow is relatively thin
- The leather wrapping isn’t weatherproof
- The wood is not well finished and causes the bowstring to fray
The Longbowmaker Pigskin Handmade longbow is most ideal for use by learners and users of all muscle strength.
Best Longbow Buying Guide- The Features to Consider
Longbows are not made equal. As you can see, there’re several brands to choose from. Each brand has its pros and cons. Thus, it’s important to choose a longbow carefully. Here’re some considerations that can assist you to make the right choice.
Different brands of longbows are specially designed for different applications. Some are ideal for archery while others are best suited for hunting or target practice. Others are suitable for all applications. Thus, choose the bow depending on the purpose you want to use it.
If you’re just starting to use a longbow as a learner, invest in a less powerful and lightweight option for practice purposes before buying a more powerful bow for real-life hunting. If you’re a skilled shooter, then you can go ahead and buy a more powerful bow.
If you want a longbow for hunting, consider its size and weight. It shouldn’t be very heavy since you may have a lot of carrying to do for prolonged periods in the woods while looking for prey. Also, a bulky longbow would easily get tangled in the woods.
2. Draw Weight
The draw weight of a longbow is a must consideration. Draw weight is a term used to refer to the power of a longbow. It’s expressed in pounds. Draw weight is the weight felt on the fingers when drawing a bow. For instance, if a bow has a draw weight of 30 pounds, your fingers will feel like they’re pulling 30 pounds when drawing the bow.
Different draw weights are suitable for different situations. For instance, if you want a longbow for target practice, then choose a less powerful bow. This is because you’ll be hitting a target such as a foam block or target bag and targets don’t require a lot of power to penetrate.
If you’re a hunter, then you need to choose a longbow that can make powerful shots to penetrate the skin and bones of the prey. If you hunt large prey with tough hide, then you need an extremely powerful longbow to shoot arrows with more power to penetrate the tough hide. Generally, a longbow for hunting should have a draw weight of at least 40 pounds.
Also, your muscle strength will determine the kind of draw weight suitable for you. Generally, men have more muscle strength in their hands than women. Thus, women would find longbows with a lower draw weight more ideal for their lower muscle weight. On a similar note, teenagers should use longbows with a lower draw weight than adults.
3. Draw Length
The draw length of a longbow is the length between the riser and the arrow butt when drawing the bow fully. It’s the distance you pull the bowstring at full draw. Basically, taller individuals have longer arms than shorter ones and would need a longbow with a higher draw length. On the other hand, shorter people and teenagers should consider choosing a longbow with a shorter draw length. A longbow, regardless of its draw length, will deliver its maximum power if you’re able to draw the bowstring fully. Thus, choose a longbow with the ideal draw length for your arm length.
4. Bow Length
The length of a longbow also matters. A longer longbow is the best option for target practice or competitive archery. Longer bows offer maximum draw weight and draw length for better results. However, hunting requires a shorter longbow since a longer one can get tangled as you walk through thick bushes.
The stability of a longbow also determines the success of hitting a target more accurately. For instance, it’s important to ensure a longbow has high stability for hunting purposes. This is because hunting often requires holding a bow for several seconds before releasing an arrow towards a target prey. Thus, it should be stable enough to maintain accuracy when drawing it for long.
6. Quality of Materials
A longbow comprises of a bow and a bowstring. It’s important to ensure that the bow and bowstring are made of premium materials for longevity. The materials should withstand weather elements, especially when buying a longbow for hunting purposes. The tips should be well polished to keep the bowstring protected from fraying. Also, the longbow should have a comfortable grip to minimize fatigue on the palm.
The brands we’ve reviewed are the best longbows you can find in the market today. Whether you want a longbow for hunting, target practice, or archery, you’ll surely find the right one from the above reviews. When making your choice, remember to consider quality over cost. After all, a high-quality bow will serve you for quite long and guarantee high performance.