A peep sight is a small bow accessory with an aperture and is mounted on a bowstring such that you can look through the aperture to aim at a target more accurately. That way, you’re more likely to hit the center of the target. When installed properly, a peep sight will assist you to maintain your anchor point consistently.
Peep sights are available in three main types including self-aligning peeps, double slot peeps, and triple slot peeps. Each type comes with its advantages and shortcomings. For instance, self-aligning peeps are always perfectly aligned even after shooting, but their rubber tubing may snag off. Double slot peeps are easy to install but may impact the view when the bowstring rotates. Triple slot peeps maintain a clear view even when the bowstring rotates but are more challenging to install.
Today, there’re many manufacturers who make peep sights. When shopping for a peep for your bow, it’s important to make your choice wisely. You should choose a peep that will meet your shooting needs. However, the multiple options to choose from can make it quite confusing to make the right choice. We teamed up with professional hunters and archers to review the best peep sights available today. Read on for the reviews and buying guide.
Quick Comparison Table of Best Peep Sights
|Peep Sight Model||Peep Size||Our Rating||Price|
|TRUGLO TG76C Centra Peep||1/4, 1/8, 3/16|
|Specialty Archery Pro Series||3/16|
|RAD Super Deuce Peep Sight||7/32, 1/4, 1/8, 3/16|
|IronBuddy Compound Bow Peep Sights||1/16, 3/32, 1/8|
|G5 Outdoors Meta Pro Peep Hunter Sight||1/4, 3/16|
Top 5 Peep Sights
Peep sights are not made equal. They vary in size, quality, performance, reliability, and other factors. Thus, you should be careful when choosing a peep sight. Here’re the top 5 peep sights available today, including their detailed reviews, top features, pros, and cons of each.
1. TRUGLO TG76C Centra Peep
TRUGLO has designed this peep sight with high preciseness for enhanced reliability. It’s available in different colors and diameter sizes to choose from and is made of premium material for longevity. It’s also designed with affordability in mind.
- Premium quality aluminum: The peep sight boasts of being made of premium quality aluminum material. The aluminum material is extremely lightweight such that it won’t affect the performance of the bowstring upon installation. Additionally, the aluminum material makes the peep quite strong for added durability.
- Different aperture sizes: You can choose from different aperture diameters depending on your needs. The peep sight is available in aperture diameter sizes such as 1/4, 1/8, and 3/16. The smaller size is ideal for daytime hunting whereas the larger size is best for nighttime hunting. Thus, there’s a peep sight for aiming in all light conditions.
- Tubeless design: Another benefit that comes with this peep sight is that it features a tubeless design. This design allows for quieter operation at every shot. Besides, it reduces the chances of the peep from popping off since it doesn’t have a tube.
- String grooves: The peep sight comes with string grooves that make it possible to use it with bows that feature a limited axle to axle length. Its design also makes it possible to tie the peep sight around the bowstring with a string serving. Tying the peep sight will keep you protected from injury since it secures the peep on the bowstring.
- Precision machine: Additionally, the peep sight is precision machined during manufacture. This allows the peep to maintain a round image when looking through it regardless of the orientation. That way, it allows you to enjoy more shooting accuracy.
- Highly affordable
- Low-glare profile
- Can be used with short bows
- Available in multiple color options
- Angled design that allows for excellent peep alignment
- Serving threads are not included
- Prone to twisting randomly
The affordability of the TRUGLO TG76C Centra Peep makes it ideal for anyone with a tight budget who needs an affordable and reliable peep sight.
2. Specialty Archery Pro Series
The Specialty Archery Pro Series is designed to be lighter than most other peep sights available today. It features a unique design that enhances its performance for more accurate aiming without affecting the performance of the bowstring.
- Hooded design: The peep has a unique hooded design. The hood reduces glare when using the peep with verifier and clarifier lenses. Thus, you can use it under the scorching sun with a lens without being affected by glare.
- Standard peep diameter: The peep sight comes with a peep measuring 3/16 inches in diameter. The peep opening is threaded to accept 1/8 inch apertures, clarifiers for sharpening the target, and verifiers to sharpen sight pins.
- 37-degree angle: Another top feature of this peep sight is that it features a 37-degree string angle design. This design is suitable for mounting the peep on bows that have a short axle to axle length, specifically bows measuring 40 inches and below.
- Durable construction: Another notable feature of this peep is its durable aluminum construction. It’s specially made to be lightweight such that it won’t weight down your bowstring. Consequently, the bowstring is able to maintain its performance.
- Sculpted design: The peep is manufactured through a sculpturing process. This results in an extremely strong peep. Additionally, its sculpted design makes it possible to trim its weight. Its design also improves the performance of a bow when aiming and shooting.
- Superior quality
- Threaded aperture
- Great color for stealth hunting purposes
- Supports use of different peep apertures
- Great for both target archery and hunting
- It’s quite pricey
- The peep is a bit unbalanced due to the hood, resulting in increased bowstring vibration
Although the Specialty Archery Pro Series peep sight is quite pricey, it’s one of the lightest peeps you can find today, making it ideal for minimizing speed loss when shooting.
3. RAD Super Deuce Peep Sight
The RAD Super Deuce Peep Sight is made of premium material and is designed to offer a shooter with a round aperture even when drawing the bow fully. The peep features an advanced design for enhanced aiming in all conditions.
- Anodized aluminum: One of the top features that come with this peep sight is that it’s made of top-quality anodized aluminum. The anodized aluminum material resists corrosion, thereby making the peep sight highly durable. Thus, you can use it in the harsh outdoor environment when hunting without worrying about weather elements.
- 38-degree angle design: The peep sight is designed in such a way that it’s served into a bowstring at an angle of 38 degrees. This unique angle design allows the aperture to remain round when drawing the bowstring fully. Thus, you’ll enjoy a rounded image of the target at full draw for more accurate shooting.
- Dual Radius Slotting: Another notable feature of this peep sight is its patented Dual Radius Slotting design. This design feature eliminates sharp points and burrs from the peep slot such that it won’t cut the bowstring.
- Safety serving: Additionally, this peep sight allows for a safety serving, thanks to the groove around its circumference. You can secure it with safety serving thread to reduce the chances of losing the peep in the event of accidental dry-firing. The safety serving will also prevent the peep from accidental shifting once mounted.
- Multiple sizes: You’ll also appreciate the fact that this peep sight is available in multiple sizes to choose from. You can choose between sizes 7/32, 1/4, 1/8, and 3/16 inches. Thus, there’s a size available for all aiming needs depending on the light conditions of your shooting environment and your eyesight ability.
- Solidly built
- Aligns well after every draw
- Stays in place after every shot
- It’s one of the most affordable peep sights
- A bit noisy when shooting
- Challenging to align with small bows
The RAD Super Deuce Peep Sight stands out for its safety serving that prevents peep loss. It’s also ideal for anyone looking for an affordable peep sight.
4. IronBuddy Compound Bow Peep Sights
This peep sight from IronBuddy is available in three different sizes to choose from including 1/16, 3/32, and 1/18. It’s designed to accommodate different types and sizes of apertures in the peep hole. Moreover, it’s available in different color choices including blue, black, and red.
- Comes with a hex wrench: One of the top benefits you’ll enjoy by choosing this peep sight is that it comes with a hex wrench. You can use the hex wrench to install or remove apertures, verifiers, and clarifiers from the peep sight. Thus, you won’t have to buy separate hardware.
- Aluminum alloy: Another top feature of this peep sight is that it’s made of premium quality aluminum alloy. This material is extremely lightweight such that it won’t add a lot of weight to the bowstring. Besides, the material is durable such that the peep sight will offer you reliable performance for several hunting seasons to come.
- Three pieces inner core: You’ll also appreciate the three pieces inner core that comes with the peep sight. The inner core pieces include three replaceable apertures with diameters measuring 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8 inches in diameter. You can switch between the apertures depending on your aiming needs. Additionally, the peep sight hole and the aperture pieces are threaded for an easier and tight installation.
- Smoothened finishing: The groove of the peep sight comes with a smoothened finishing. The smoothened finishing prevents tear and wear on the bowstring. Thus, you can rest assured knowing that you’ll mount it without causing any harm to your bowstring.
- Sturdily built: The peep is sturdily built such that it doesn’t lose its shape or form when drawing the bowstring fully. It maintains its round aperture shape to make it easier to aim at the center of a target.
- Different color options
- Easy to install the aperture inner cores
- Good price for the peep sight and accessories
- 37-degree peep sight for enhanced sight image
- Only ideal for compound bows
- Challenging to tie when mounting
The IronBuddy Compound Bow Peep Sights is most ideal for use with compound bows of all sizes, especially for hunting purposes.
5. G5 Outdoors Meta Pro Peep Hunter Sight
The G5 Outdoors Meta Pro Peep Hunter Sight is one of the best peep sights. It’s made as a lightweight peep sight, yet it’s highly durable. It’s specially made to make your aiming more accurate without any complicated setup. You’ll only need to install it in your bowstring in a two-slot setup and get ready to shoot at your prey more accurately.
- Available in multiple color choices: If you’re choosy when it comes to the color of the accessories you use with your hunting equipment, then this peep sight is ideal for you. You can choose between different colors including black, blue, red, pink, green, and purple. That way, you won’t be restricted to the color choice.
- Available in two sizes: The sight is available in two different sizes. You can choose between 1/4 inch and 3/16 inch sizes. If you have eyesight problems, or you like hunting at dusk or in thick bushes, then you can choose the larger 1/4 inch sight. Also, if you prefer hunting in broad daylight or in open terrain, then you should choose the smaller 3/16 inch sight.
- Non-abrasive and non-reflective coating: The sight is coated with a non-abrasive coating. Its non-abrasive nature means that it won’t wear out the bowstring. Besides, the coating is non-reflective such that you won’t suffer from glare when hunting during a sunny day.
- Convex interior design: The interior of this peep sight features a convex design. The interior diameter of the convex makes it possible to enhance the field of view, especially when hunting in poorly lit conditions. Also, the convex design allows for a circular sight even when tilting it. Additionally, the outer convex groove allows the bowstring to touch a smaller surface such that wear on the bowstring is minimized.
- Machined aluminum material: Another feature you’ll love about this peep is that it’s made with industrial-grade machined aluminum. The material is sturdy enough such that the peep can maintain its shape. Besides, it’s lightweight such that it won’t affect your aiming accuracy.
- Highly reliable and long-lasting
- Tubeless design
- Smoothing finishing without any sharp edges
- Affordable price range
- A little challenging to use with eyeglasses
- A bit difficult to line up straight
- The delivered color is inaccurate
If you need an affordable peep sight that is simple and straightforward to use, then you can rest assured that the G5 Outdoors Meta Pro Peep Hunter Sight will meet your needs.
How to Choose the Best Peep Sight
Peep sights are one of the most important accessories you should have as an archer or hunter. However, you can only enjoy the benefits that come with a peep sight by choosing the right option. There’re certain features that make some peep sight models better than others. Thus, you need to make your choice wisely. Here’re some tips that can assist you to choose the right peep sight for your bow.
1. Size of the peep sight
Peep sights are available in different sizes in terms of diameter. You should choose the diameter size that matches the light conditions at the time you prefer shooting. For instance, if you prefer hunting at dusk, then consider a larger peep sight for enhanced visibility in low light conditions. If you prefer hunting in the daytime, then a smaller peep sight will suffice. Also, if you have eyesight issues, you should consider a larger peep sight.
2. Construction Material
Another important consideration to make is the material used in making the peep sight. The material will have an impact on the weight and durability of the peep. Most peep sights are made of either plastic, rubber, or aluminum. Plastic peep sights are the lightest option but are prone to damage. Rubber peep sights reduce tension on a bowstring and are lightweight. Aluminum peeps are the most durable peeps but typically heavier than plastic and rubber. If you settle for an aluminum peep, ensure its string groove is smoothly finished to prevent the bowstring from getting damaged.
Ensure the peep sight you’re choosing is as lightweight as possible. A lightweight peep minimizes weight on the bowstring. If you use a heavy peep, the bowstring will not shoot an arrow with its maximum ability, thereby reducing the speed of a shot. On the other hand, a lightweight peep allows the bowstring to retain its optimal performance to shoot arrows with maximum speed and power.
Peep sights are available in angles ranging from 36 degrees and above. Ensure the peep sight angle can be lined properly when mounting it on the bowstring. The best option is the one that stays properly aligned at full draw. It should also maintain its alignment after every shot. Also, its lineup degree should match the size of your bow.
The color of the peep sight shouldn’t be ignored. It’s an important factor to consider. Ensure the color you choose makes the peep sight easily visible at full draw. Also, choose a color that won’t distract your vision. Bright colors are more visible but cause more visual distraction. Dull colors don’t cause a lot of visual distraction but are less visible. If you want to strike a balance between enhanced visibility and minimized visual distraction, then black would be a great neutral color choice.
Another important factor to consider is the design of the peep sight. At least, ensure the design allows for easier mounting on a bowstring. If you want to use a peep sight without apertures, clarifiers, or verifiers, then a basic peep sight design will suffice. If you want to add apertures, then ensure the peep sight has a threaded peep hole for easier mounting of the inner core apertures. Also, if glare affects your visual ability when hunting during the daytime, then choose a hooded peep sight. If glare is a non-issue, especially when hunting at dusk, then a non-hooded peep sight is a good choice.
Whether you’re an armature or professional archer or hunter, a peep sight will improve your shooting accuracy by assisting you to aim more precisely. When shopping for a peep sight, ensure it has all the desirable features you’d want depending on your needs and preferences. Hopefully, these reviews on the best peep sights will assist you to make the right decision. After all, we’ve only reviewed the top-rated peep sights available on the market today.