If you’re looking for the best thumb release to enhance your shooting accuracy, then you’ve landed on the right article. A thumb release can be described as a device that assists hunters and archers to shoot arrows more accurately and consistently. The device uses a trigger mechanism to draw and release the bowstring rather than using your fingers. A typical thumb release features jaws or a form of a hook that holds the bowstring when drawing it. The thumb activates the trigger mechanism, thereby opening the hook or jaws to release the bowstring.
A thumb release comes with several benefits over using the fingers. For instance, it allows for a consistent and comfortable anchor point than using the index finger. Also, a thumb release is quite handy to have when shooting at a target from an elevated position such as on a tree stand. Additionally, a thumb release aligns the elbow behind an arrow more effectively for enhanced accuracy. Read on for detailed reviews on the top quality thumb releases available today.
Quick Comparison Table
|Thumb Release Brand||Number of Finger Grooves||Our Rating||Price|
|Carter Enterprises Wise Choice Release||3|
|Tru-Fire Edge 4-Finger Hand Held Bow||4|
|Hot Shot Vapor 4 Release||4|
|Tru Ball Max Hunter Release 3||3|
|Scott Archery Pursuit||3/4|
Top 5 Thumb Release
When buying a thumb release, it’s important to choose wisely. However, it can be quite confusing to know the right one for you. That’s why we’ve reviewed the top 5 thumb releases available today to make it easier for you when shopping.
1. Carter Enterprises Wise Choice Release 3 Finger
This thumb release from Carter features a 3 finger design and is specially designed for reliable performance. It boasts of having great ergonomics with enhanced adjustability. Its top-quality build makes it one of the most preferred brands.
- Removable lanyard: One of the top features of this thumb release is its removable lanyard mechanism. Its removable nature gives you the option to either clip it onto the loop or wrap it around your wrist. By keeping the lanyard wrapped around your wrist, you won’t lose the thumb release upon releasing the bowstring. This makes it ideal for hunting purposes where the chances of losing such a device in the woods are high.nt
- Adjustable set screw: Another top feature is that it comes with a set screw for adjusting the tension of the thumb release system. That way, you can adjust the tension of the trigger mechanism depending on your needs. Besides, it’s easy to adjust the set screw for your convenience.
- Automatic jaw-closing: The jaw that comes with the thumb release closes automatically upon cocking the release. Its automatic closing nature makes it easier and faster to attach to the d-loop. Thus, you can quickly set it up in readiness to shoot at your target prey before it disappears into the woods.
- Universal fit: The design behind the jaw makes it suitable for use on all finger sizes. It’s also simple to use for your convenience. Additionally, its hole is designed to accommodate any light glove. This is especially beneficial if you love wearing gloves when hunting.
- Index finger hole: Another top feature of this thumb release is that it comes with an index finger hole. The hole assists a shooter to have consistent placement of the index finger when using the release. Also, the hole makes it more secure to keep the release in place.
- Allows for a firm grip
- Easy to use and low maintenance
- Premium quality construction
- Highly durable and reliable
- Great trigger sensitivity for enhanced accuracy
- It’s very pricey
- The tension feels a bit tight when making the first few shots
Although Carter Enterprises Wise Choice Release 3 Finger is quite pricey, it stands out for its unmatched performance and is ideal for anyone who doesn’t mind spending more money on a high-quality thumb release
2. Tru-Fire Edge 4-Finger Hand Held Bow Release
Tru-Fire is known for manufacturing some of the best bow release aids. Its 4-finger thumb release is not left behind. It’s innovatively designed to allow for greater accuracy, functionality, and reliability for many hunting or archery seasons.
- Streamlined design: To start with, this thumb release features a streamlined design that makes it suitable for both hunting and archery purposes. It’s sleek and feels comfortable in the hand. The head and handle are made of machined CNC aluminum that makes it feel very solid.
- Effortless head rotation: Another top feature of this release is that the head is designed to rotate 360 degrees. That way, the amount of torque generated is reduced for smoother shots. The 360 degrees rotation also assists in maintaining a perfect and consistent anchor point.
- Adjustable knob: The thumb knob that comes with the release is fully adjustable to allow for a customized fit. The trigger tension is also adjustable. Furthermore, it’s effortless to adjust the knob and trigger tension for your convenience.
- Lightweight: The trigger boasts of being lightweight. It won’t add much weight to your fingers. That way, you’ll be able to draw your bow fully without requiring any extra effort. Besides, the head is extremely small for more comfortable usage.
- Great for both hands: Whether you’re a left-handed or right-handed shooter, this thumb release will work for you. You can adjust the thumb button to fit either the left or right hand. Besides, its design makes it fit on all finger sizes.
- Camouflage color
- Superior design
- Spring-loaded release
- Dual caliper release
- Small jaws for handling small string loops easily
- The head has a grainy feel
- You may need to get a separate strap to tie it on your hand or wrist to avoid losing it
The design of this Tru-Fire Edge 4-Finger Hand Held Bow Release makes it ideal for use in both hunting and competitive archery.
3. Hot Shot Vapor 4 Release
The Hot Shot Vapor 4 Release is one of the best thumb release available today. It’s designed with affordability in mind. It’s held by four fingers for more comfortable usage. Its black color gives it a neutral finishing.
- Enhanced surface area: The surface on which the fingers hold the thumb release is designed with an enhanced surface area. That way, there’s reduced finger fatigue for more comfortable use for a prolonged period.
- Silent operation: One of the features that make this thumb release suitable for hunting purposes is its silent operation. The actuating mechanism operates without any noise. Besides, you can load and release it silently such that you won’t have to alert a target prey.
- Automatic closing jaw: The jaw system doesn’t require any cocking mechanism to close. It closes automatically such that it’s always ready to take a shot quickly. This makes it perfect for hunting situations where you should take a shot soonest possible before a target disappears out of range.
- Wrist strap: The thumb release comes with a wrist strap that you can use to tie the thumb release around your wrist. That way, you won’t lose your precious thumb release when hunting in thick woods. Besides, the wrist strap has an adjustable mechanism that you can use to easily tighten or loosen it around your wrist as needed without making any knots.
- Smooth release: The design behind the thumb release makes it smooth to release. That way, you can make repeat shots effortlessly and quickly. Consequently, its smooth release allows for enhanced accuracy and consistency.
- Adjustable tension trigger
- Multi-axis barrel rotation
- Torque-free release
- Crisp trigger
- It’s one of the most affordable thumb releases
- Lacks a 360 degrees swivel head
- Tends to fray the d-loop over time
The Hot Shot Vapor 4 Release is ideal for anyone looking for an affordable yet reliable and accurate thumb release.
4. Tru Ball Max Hunter Release 3
The Max Hunter thumb release from Tru Ball is yet another affordable option for someone on a tight budget. It’s designed to allow for maximum draw length such that you’ll be able to make highly powerful shots. It features a 3-finger design for more comfort.
- Enhanced adjustability: One of the most outstanding features of this thumb release is that you can adjust the thumb trigger to your preferences. It also features an adjustable sensitivity screw. That way, you can customize its operability depending on your needs.
- Enhanced silence: Another top feature of the Tru Ball Max Hunter thumb release is that it’s designed for maximum silence. It’s completely silent when loading the release. This makes it perfect for a camouflage hunting experience.
- Fast loading speed: When hunting or participating in competitive archery, you want a thumb release that is extremely fast to load. Luckily enough, this thumb release boasts of fast loading speed. Besides, it’s effortless to load.
- Maximum draw length: The design behind this thumb release allows for maximum draw length. This is made possible by its smaller head and jaws. That way, it makes it possible to draw the bowstring fully without struggling. Consequently, you’ll be able to shoot arrows at maximum force and speed.
- Prevents punch release: The thumb release works by pushing the trigger forward. In this case, you’ll easily squeeze the release when shooting an arrow. That way, it prevents the problem of punch release. Consequently, you’ll be able to make more accurate shots.
- Affordable pricing
- 360 degrees swivel head
- Ergonomic design
- Seamless finish
- Lacks a lanyard
- Small for users with large fingers
The Tru Ball Max Hunter Release 3 stands out for its affordability and silent operation, making it a great thumb release for camouflage hunting.
5. Scott Archery Pursuit
This thumb release from Scott Archery is designed for the best value of your money. It’s designed to allow for a perfect feel and fit for any shooter. It’s able to deliver the kind of performance that a professional bow hunter would want.
- Fully adjustable: One of the most outstanding features of this thumb release is that it comes with a fully adjustable trigger. You can adjust the trigger travel and trigger position as needed. That way, it can suit the needs of every archer and bow hunter.
- Inbuilt lanyard: Another top feature of this thumb release is that it comes with an adjustable lanyard. You can adjust its length to the most comfortable one for you. The lanyard connects to the provided wrist wrap.
- Adjustable wrist strap: Additionally, the thumb release comes with an adjustable wrist strap. You can fasten the wrist strap around your wrist to secure the thumb release and protect it from getting lost. Besides, the adjustable nature of the wrist strap makes it fit around all wrist sizes.
- Crisp trigger: The thumb release features a crisp trigger. This trigger design allows for more consistent arrow release. It doesn’t have any slack or creep. Consequently, you’ll make more accurate and consistent shots.
- Versatile design: You can use the thumb release as either a 3 or 4 finger setup, thanks to the included finger extension. That way, you can hold it with either 3 or 4 fingers depending on your needs.
- Ergonomic handle design
- High-quality wrist strap
- Rugged finish for a firm grip
- Compact caliper head
- Higher price range
- Requires some effort to set
- The locking clamp isn’t of the best quality
If you don’t mind paying a little more for a high-performance thumb release, then this Scott Archery Pursuit thumb release is the right option for you.
How to Choose the Best Thumb Release
Many people assume that drawing and shooting a bow is easy. However, that’s far from the truth. Regardless, you can draw your bow and shoot more accurately with the help of a thumb release. Choosing the wrong thumb release can lead to inaccuracies. Thus, it’s important to choose the right thumb release for your needs. Since not all thumb releases are made equal, there’re certain important factors you should consider before buying one. Consider the following factors when making your choice:
1. Finger grooves
A typical thumb release comes with either 3 or 4 finger grooves. A 3-finger groove is easy to hold and comfortable. On the other hand, a 4-finger groove offers a more stable and firmer grip. Here, the choice will depend on your personal preferences.
Also, consider the depth of the finger grooves. Typically, deeper grooves make it possible to control the hand angle more reliably and allows for making shots more easily. When comparing the finger grooves, consider the size of your fingers and hands. If you have larger fingers, then consider more spacious finger grooves.
The weight of a thumb release determines its performance. A heavy thumb release can be disadvantageous, especially when holding it for prolonged periods. Also, its weight may affect the angle at which arrows are shot, thereby affecting the accuracy of shots. Its weight can also add to the torque of an arrow. Besides, it can be challenging to balance the bow when using a heavy thumb release. On a similar note, an extremely light thumb release may be unreliable to make powerful shots. Thus, it should neither be too light nor too heavy.
3. Noise level
If you’re buying a thumb release for bow hunting purposes, it’s important to ensure that you choose one with little or zero noise. A noisy thumb release may alert a target animal and it’ll end up running away. Thus, ensure you choose an option that doesn’t click when drawing the bow or releasing the trigger. If you’re buying a thumb release for target practice, noise may not be a major issue.
It’s advisable to choose a versatile thumb release. It should have several adjustment options to allow for customization. An adjustable thumb release can be set to the most comfortable level. For instance, ensure you can adjust the trigger travel, tension, and angle. Enhanced adjustability improves usability since you can set it according to your preferences.
If you’re shooting for prolonged periods, then it’s important to ensure that the thumb release is highly comfortable. A comfortable thumb release will reduce fatigue on the fingers. An uncomfortable thumb release may lead to fatigue and inaccuracies. Also, ensure the wrist strap is comfortable.
6. Build quality
You should ensure that the thumb release you’re choosing is worth the investment. Thumb releases are relatively costly. Thus, buy a top-quality option that will serve you for many years to come. If it doesn’t come with a wrist strap, buy one to avoid losing it.
Finding the best thumb release requires a lot of patience. Also, you need good judgment when making your choice. Avoid buying the cheapest or first brand you see when shopping. You need to take due diligence before spending your money. Examine each brand carefully, including its pros and cons, and see the one that will work best for your needs.